Prime Dose Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbrothas

Reaction score
I used these in about 12 bottles and have had 3 so far.

The product has a gel cap and it is still floating around in my beer and not dissolving after over a week in the bottle.

Also, I believe the yeast has imparted a strange flavor to my beer.

I give this product a D+ and will probably open the capsule and dump the yeast/sugar in for another test to make sure I am correct about the yeast.

They should have used lager yeast it would not have changed the beer so much.

A few questions for you:

What was the recipe you used these for?

Did you bottle carb any of thee beers using sugar like normal, or do you normally keg and just bottled these as leftovers that wouldn't fit in the keg?

How was the carb level after a week?

Does the packaging state any length of time they recommend that you let it sit?

What size bottles did you use, and how many capsules per bottles?

Reason why I'm asking this is that I have a Wee Heavy that aren't carbing in the bottles even after 5 months so I was thinking about getting some Prime Dose to use so would like as much info as possible before I drop the $20 on them.

Sorry for the slow reply I have a 2 year old haha

I used them in a Firestone DBA clone. The beer actually has good carbonation now and I just strain the caps out when I pour it. This adds to a nice creamy head when I pour through a strainer.

It carbonated in a couple of weeks.

I used the recommended dose of 2 capsules for 12 oz and 4 casules for 22 oz

My suggestion is to open the capsule and pour the contents into the bottle.

Thanks for recommending to empty the contents of the capsules. I just did that and I think that work out better. It did take a while. Because most of them did not simply come part, I had to tear them with my fingernail which ended up like bamboo up your fingernails

Back