Prime dose capsules

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wonder if they cause more sediment than normal.

I'll post pics in a couple weeks in the other thread. Mine was sitting in secondary for 5 months, so any sediment in the bottle will be 100% from these capsules.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

I don't think your question was aimed at me but i ordered prime dose caps and im happy with the results...just would not use them in a full 5-6 gal batch too expensive..they come in handy when you want to bottle only a few

I hear you on price. If you use as directed and get lets say 50 bottles/batch, you only get 2 batches which essentially adds $10 to your batch price. I got mine with a gift card so I guess its eases the pain a bit. If you could get away with 1 capsule per bottle, its a little more easy.

Well did you like the capsules?

Yes, I do like the capsules a lot. Seems a tad undercarbed for my 10% RIS bottled 6 weeks ago, but it may need a little more time. The RIS was brewed a year prior, so the yeast in the capsules definitely works. I'm going to update the other thread with pics and more detail next time I crack one: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bo...e-dose-tablets-454217/index2.html#post5861925

I hear you on price. If you use as directed and get lets say 50 bottles/batch, you only get 2 batches which essentially adds $10 to your batch price. I got mine with a gift card so I guess its eases the pain a bit. If you could get away with 1 capsule per bottle, its a little more easy.

I'm still not sure why these things are so expensive online. They're $9.99 in Midwest's retail store. Maybe they'll come down because $19.99 is ridiculous.

wonder if they cause more sediment than normal.

The sediment is normal, maybe even less... and they produce about 10x less sediment than Brewers Best Conditioning tabs.

I wanted to see the difference because I wasn't happy with the sediment from the BB tabs. The RIS below is Prime Dose, the IPA is BB tabs. Both in clear bottles with ~2.0 vols.

2014-02-13 21.52.20.jpg

2014-02-13 21.53.02.jpg

The sediment is normal, maybe even less... and they produce about 10x less sediment than Brewers Best Conditioning tabs.

I wanted to see the difference because I wasn't happy with the sediment from the BB tabs. The RIS below is Prime Dose, the IPA is BB tabs. Both in clear bottles with ~2.0 vols.

Are the BB conditioning tabs the same as the fizz drops? I was ordering priming sugar and saw them for cheap so just added them on

Are the BB conditioning tabs the same as the fizz drops? I was ordering priming sugar and saw them for cheap so just added them on

Nope: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/munton-s-carb-tabs.html

I've never used the fizz drops, but I see they now have good reviews: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/fermenters-favorites-fizz-drops-8-oz.html

Keep us updated on how they work for you and how much sediment they produce.

I was actually told not to use the fizz drops by Northern Brewer's store manager (who later went pro) because he claimed they changed the flavor of his beer. I've never used them so I'm not sure.

It's a saison so sediment isn't a concern anyway, but I still didn't want THAT much extra sediment lol. Good to know, I'll post later how they work out. I don't see how they'd change the flavor but we'll see

Maybe bottle a couple without the fizz drops to find out? The guy who told me is a smart dude but who knows, maybe he got a bad batch or something.

Yeah that's a good idea, I'll do a couple bottles with table sugar. Some people can't admit when they make mistakes lol

I don't think your question was aimed at me but i ordered prime dose caps and im happy with the results...just would not use them in a full 5-6 gal batch too expensive..they come in handy when you want to bottle only a few

I finally used today on a batch that ended up being just under 5g. I only used 1 capsule per bottle since its a Standard Bitter which is supposed to be lower carbonation, so figured 1 would be plenty for the style. I will say its alot nicer on brewing day not worrying about making priming solution.

We'll see how the results go in about 3 weeks. There weren't really instructions on how to use capsules, I just dropped in after bottling and capped. I assume they just dissolved over time. I'll keep you posted on the results.

1 capsules carbonated it a little, but definitely more on flat side. It works with my English Ale style but if I were doing a Cream Ale or something, definitely need at least 2 capsules.

Back