Primary Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damgaard

Reaction score
I started my third batch of mead on March 23rd using the recipe below which was cobbled together from reading the forum and a discussion I had with my local brew shop which is also a microbrewery that has their own Orange Blossom Mead on tap (which is quite tasty, by the way).

I was looking for the ingredients to put a batch of BOMM together, but they were missing several ingredients. In my discussion with one of their brewers he told me they put the mead I was sipping out in less than a month. They were out of the specific yeast type they use for their mead, but he found what he said would be a suitable alternative. The recipe I ended up with is as follows for a one gallon batch:

2# Orange Blossom Honey
12 oz Wildflower Honey
1 Tsp Wyeast Nutrient Blend
1/2 Tsp BSG Yeast Energizer
2/3 Packet Safale US-05 Dry Ale Yeast

I added all of the ingredients together at the beginning, OG came in at 1.110. I had airlock activity within three hours do putting it to rest in my pantry.

The activity was rather vigorous for the first week, and the slowed slightly.

On April 2nd (10 days after start) I tested the SG which came in at 1.010. I tasted the batch and it is very nice, I would say maybe a little dry, but it will easily be delicious with a small amount of back sweetening. Honestly it tastes almost drinkable now, albeit very cloudy still.

So now it's April 8th, 16 days after start, and there is still airlock activity....probably 4-5 bubbles a minute. There is a thin layer of sediment on the bottom. I have not checked SG since the 2nd.

Should I rack it, or let it bubble?

Any input on the yeast? I searched for it on the forum and didn't find any use of it by anyone.

I'm pretty excited about this one, I feel like it is going to be exceptional. Looking forward to some of your thoughts on this...

American by Birth
Viking by the grace of Odin

Seeking peace through mead.

Let it bubble away until it done and starts to clear, I think 05 should drop out pretty fast. Lucky you to have a microbrew that can help you out like this, nothing like local advise from experts. I wouldnt put a timetable on this, like dont expect it to be done in just a month, its done when its done. Your microbrew friends might have some equipment you dont have to help clear theirs faster. Also interesting that you mix orange blossum and wildflower together, any particular reason or was it just what you had on hand? WVMJ

I usually leave my meads in the primary for at least a couple months before racking them to the secondary to finish clearing.

no real reason to rack to secondary unless its cleared... unless you have specific intentions.

Your microbrew friends might have some equipment you dont have to help clear theirs faster.

I have bentonite and I'm not afraid to use it ;)

I mixed the two honeys because I like the flavors of both. The OB is from a local keeper, and the Wildflower is a particularly delicious organic variety I wanted to add in.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I typically go a month in primary. Gives the yeast to finish it's job. Then I'll add Bentonite prior to racking for clarification.

Back