Primary Activity Still Significant After A Week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendit

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was planning on racking my beer to a secondary today (to dry hop), but I noticed it's still actively bubbling (about 3 times a minute).

The fermentation was a bit slow to start (between 24 and 36 hours), but it's been bubbling a lot since. I haven't checked on it 5 days because I was out of the country, but it was bubbling a lot when I left and it still is now that I've returned.

Would you recommend I continue racking it or keep it longer in the primary until the bubbling slows down significantly?

Thanks,

Ben

Hey guys,

I was planning on racking my beer to a secondary today (to dry hop), but I noticed it's still actively bubbling (about 3 times a minute).

The fermentation was a bit slow to start (between 24 and 36 hours), but it's been bubbling a lot since. I haven't checked on it 5 days because I was out of the country, but it was bubbling a lot when I left and it still is now that I've returned.

Would you recommend I continue racking it or keep it longer in the primary until the bubbling slows down significantly?

Thanks,

Ben

Ben,
A week is too soon, far too soon in my opinion, to pull out of the primary. I had a beer once that had fermentation for 21 days and I left in in for 5 weeks before racking. You do not want to pull off your yeast cake soon anyway after fermentation is done, as the yeast clean up after themselves. But you certainly don't rack before fermentation is done. Fermentation does not take place in the secondary fermenting tank. It is almost like an oxymoron.

Back