Prickly Pear Lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beersteiner2345

Reaction score
So, living in the desert and seeing all the prickly pear cactus fruits ripe for the harvesting, I have been thinking about trying a prickly pear lambic.

Had anyone ever tried this before?

Should I just use any base lambic recipe and then sub prickly pear fruit in the secondary for the fruit flavor?

While I haven't used prickly pear. I have made several sour ales.

The general rule is brew the base beer and wait 6 mos. before pitching in the fruit. Knowing the fruit is in season go ahead pick this and freeze it. This will just break down and make it easier for the Brett to eat.

The other general rule is about 2-3 lbs of fruit per 5 gallon recipe.

The general rule is brew the base beer and wait 6 mos. before pitching in the fruit. Knowing the fruit is in season go ahead pick this and freeze it. This will just break down and make it easier for the Brett to eat.
Agreed here.
The other general rule is about 2-3 lbs of fruit per 5 gallon recipe.

Depending on what fruit you're using, maybe. That's not very much at all if you're talking peaches, strawberries, or anything mild-flavored like that. With prickly pear I'd go at least a pound per gallon and expect to get some flavor and a lot of that cool neon pink/purple color.

I think a PP lambic could be tasty. They're also used in mead, if you are looking for other ideas. The color is amazing at first, but it eventually fades.

Good to know. Although after researching it, I am not sure I have the patience required to make a lambic... lol

Back