prickly pear ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bg1414

Reaction score
I'm looking at possibly making a prickly pear ipa. Does anyone know where I can find some information on this? I'm trying to develop a recipe, not sure how much fruit to use in this. Thanks

I'm making a prickly pear mead at the moment. The fruits are intense in color, but mild in flavor and don't have a super high amount of sugar. I'd probably chop up a pound and throw it in the boil in a bag for some color, then throw another pound in secondary in a bag for some flavor. It will probably come out magenta in color. Here's what my prickly pear mead looks like after adding 9.25lbs to a 5.5 gallon batch.

10372288_851317618222946_2967216548444978688_n.jpg

Ive had a few prickly pears and I can attest to them being relatively mild flavour. What little they have bitter sweet and sour comes to mind. Id be cautious using this as the main fermentible leaving the drier bitter sour finish. You might be best using this more as an F-pac post or late fermentation as skarkman mentioned.

As for the fruit to use typical non grape or country wine is about 4-5lbs / gallon but with added sugars depending on ABv and body type your shooting for. With an ale yeast you could expect a higher FG some and some mild residual sweetess. Prickly pear would be one of those odd balls your stuck pioneering for the rest of us. You could drop a camden table let it sit a day or two and find the gravity of the straight juice then add simple sugars to up the gravity of your choice following an online chart.

Back