Price per batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberdog

Reaction score
Hello everybody I have just bottled my first batch last night and I have 15 more gallons still fermenting. My question is I've noticed that the price kids for 5 gallon Batches Run about $40 plus. When I get more experience and start making my own brews and my own extracts etc. how much should I be spending without sacrificing quality ? much should I look at as far as spending without sacrificing quality

I spend about $20 per 5 gallon batch if I am using recycled yeast, and $27 when I buy yeast. I do all grain. Also, average around 14# of grain and 5oz of hops for each batch. I also grow my own hops, buy bulk hops for varieties I dont grow. I also try to buy base grain in bulk as well. All of these little differences/savings add up quickly.

Usually with extract brews around 40 is about right. If you brew some lighter styles you could probably get down to 30. If you are looking save money, well... It is hard to brew good beers without spending money.

In the long term, moving to all grain will save you money per batch, but obviously requires a significant upfront cost.

Hello everybody I have just bottled my first batch last night and I have 15 more gallons still fermenting. My question is I've noticed that the price kids for 5 gallon Batches Run about $40 plus. When I get more experience and start making my own brews and my own extracts etc. how much should I be spending without sacrificing quality ? much should I look at as far as spending without sacrificing quality

I did my first all grain 2 weeks ago, It was a basic blonde ale and the grains were only 10.50 you then have to add yeast and hops, but that shouldn't be more than 8.00. this turned out to be a 6 gallon batch and it will be around 4% by volume.

I washed my yeast from a previouse batch and it seemed to work fine. so I didnt buy yeast,
I also reused some hops because the origonal batch didn't extract all of the flavor/juices. This brew only cost me 10.50

If you want to brew beer at home to save money you should probably just buy beer. Equipment can become expensive and well all know how addictive this hobby gets!

If you want to brew beer at home to save money you should probably just buy beer. Equipment can become expensive and well all know how addictive this hobby gets!

No I am not saying that at all but just like anything else if you make it your self it is usually cheaper. I just wanted to see if it gets cheaper than spending $40 without sacrificing quality. I have enjoyed the hobby so far and have been brewing a batch every week for the last 3 weeks(thats when I started). Also I have about $400 in my set-up and I know a hobby like this can cost as much as you wanna spend. Thanks for the input fellas!

I stopped worrying about cost per batch the moment I drank my first all grain beer.

But to the question at hand, how exactly does one sacrifice quality in home brew? All the ingredients are top notch and have reasonble prices.

As long as you keep refining your technique and build up your knowledge - it will just keep getting better and better.

I mostly brew all grain, but extract brew days are REALLY relaxing compared to AG days though a lot more expensive. A simple recipe like a Cream Ale or Blonde Ale can be fairly inexpensive. Northern Brewer LME, lower hop levels, and dry or harvested yeast puts it around $20-25. Bigger beers and more hops will just drive up the price. I harvest and wash yeast, buy base malt in bulk (I'm lucky enough to have Colorado Malting Co. right in my town!), and can buy some hops from a local grower all of which help to keep the cost per batch down. An average beer is probably between $15-25. Again, bigger grain and/or hop bills will increase the cost. Living so far away from a HBS means I have to keep a variety of specialty grains, hops, and yeast strains on hand and be creative in what I brew. I have found that the local health food store is a great place to buy flaked grains (barley, wheat, oats, and rye) as well as a fantastic selection of herbs and spices that can be played with. That said, I can usually throw together a recipe using what I have and make great beer, despite making hop and grain subs. The quality of the beer you make will have a lot more to do with learning what to expect from different ingredients and how to put them together than how much you spend per beer. While I enjoy making (and drinking!) big beers, I have found that I really like brewing smaller, sessionable beers that also are less expensive. However, I have spent a TON of money on equipment and tweaking and refining my system. If you are already $500 deep into this hobby, you know you aren't doing it for the cost effectiveness!

I make a basic IPA for about $10 per case - All ingredients and propane.

Free bottles, washed yeast cost spread out over 6 batches, 10 lbs grain, 2 oz hops, gallon or so of propane.

Wheat beers cost a bit more to produce. YMMV

If you are already $500 deep into this hobby, you know you aren't doing it for the cost effectiveness!

I put together a fairly nice all grain system for a little more than this.

While saving money is not my primary goal, it is something that I have considered.

In fact, I'm such a dork, I figured my break even point vs buying craft beer from the store. I of course totally ignored the time factor that it takes to produce beer.

But your right, most don't do it because its cost effective.

look at it this way

this is a hobby (so negate equipment costs as you would for any hobby to justify it)
$40 for ~48 12oz beers is great (compare that to paying ~$10+ per 6pack of craft beer)

Yep, kinda like asking how much a new car costs. Ford or Ferrari? I'd say a decent average is $25-$30 with a liquid yeast, but as mentioned could be much lower or higher depending on what your making. I've made a barley wine that cost over $60, and a lawnmower special that cost $12 including yeast for a 5 gal batch!

Brown ale (all grain) = $23
IPA (all grain) = $34

These were the cost for my 5 gal batches this weekend.

Back