Preventing mash cooler from warping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin509

Reaction score
Sooner or later it happens from all the posts I've read but some seem to avoid it somehow. Better quality coolers warp and cheaper don't and then sometimes it's the other way around. Any thoughts on preventing it? Avoiding really hot water is obvious but what has worked for folks? Add water to grains to absorb some of the initial heat?

I had two old Yeti coolers that never really got used much any more so I thought I'd try one as a uber insulated mash tun and initial test proved it would hold the temp spot on for an hour with no drop in temp at all but interior walls warped first time. Preheated with 160° water then 165° strike water was added and then grain...never hotter than that and warped. Tried 175° water in my industrial Igloo beverage cooler which has a much thinner liner and didn't warp? Puzzled?

I wish I had the answer. .. I got about 50 batches of beer out of my latest one and it just warped about 4 batches ago. Trying to stick it out until my new system is up and running. Stainless shouldn't warp like the cooler haha.

I never even realized that was a problem. Maybe your best bet would be to just use an inexpensive cooler and then replace it if it warps. I used a Cube and I had to always put a blanket or sleeping bag on top to keep the temps constant, but that was a pretty minor inconvenience. The cooler was cheap but it never warped. I always just added my hot water and dumped in the grain. Nothing special in terms of technique.

And if you're interested in selling a Yeti, shoot me a pm. I might be interested depending on the size, condition and price. I'm in Spokane pretty regularly for work...

since the cooler is often the cheapest part in a cooler mash tun.

let it warp in a few years and swap the hardware.

Back