Pressure issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voleceq

Reaction score
I recently bought the basic keg kit from kegconnection.com and love it... My only issue has to do with keeping the constant set pressure. My technique thus far has been to turn on the gas with the regulator nut completely loose. Then I would tighten it slowly until I hit my desired psi. Twice so far, I've done this and let it sit. About a day later when I checked on it, the psi had jumped up by about 10 or so. For example, I had it set at 15 psi last night (it's in a 50 degree fridge). I just checked it and the pressure has gone up to 27!... am I missing something important here? My temporary fix is to pressurize the keg at 15 and then disconnect the gas once I stop hearing the CO2 moving through the regulator. I feel like the solution will probably be obvious but I cannot figure it out. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!

I have heard of this in other posts... but I have never seen it. I have had mine set for weeks at 12psi and it never budges... why does it change fellas?

Try sneaking up on it. Vent your keg & set the regulator to 8 psi. Check it in the morning. If it changed by the same percentage, you should be right on 15. If not, add 1-2 psi by tightening the screw. Don't re-zero. Repeat until you get the right pressure.

The problem is the cold diaphragm inside the regulator. You'll overshoot every time if you try to set the exact pressure you desire with one big adjustment. Follow david's advice.

or the temp of the beer is changing by quite a bit. Cold beer carbonated properly will gain PSI as it warms and the gas expands. How are you controlling the temp of your kegerator? Most fridges swing about 10 degrees or +5/-5 from the set point.

Even if the fridge temp swings +/- 5 degrees, the volume of beer in the keg will take a long time to change temps, and therefore pressure, due to temp changes. I would rule out the changes in the fridge temp.

Thanks for all of the responses.

To answer the question about the temperature, I had it carbonating at the appropriate PSI at room temp (around 68 degrees). When I moved it to the fridge, I dropped the PSI to 15 to account for the new temperature.

Also, I've been measuring the fridge temp fairly often. It seems to be consistently 50 degrees (but unfortunately, won't get any cooler :mad: ).

Back