Pressure Fermentation Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trawlings10

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently got into fermenting under pressure with a diaphragm spunding valve in a corny keg. I made an Oktoberfest that turned out great. I just made a Helles that came out super yeasty and it also has a sulfury off flavor. I did make a starter and added yeast nutrient. It is taking a while to drop clear even after using gelatin finings. Is there certain types of styles that aren't favorable for pressure fermentation? What have you had luck with? Any tips on best practices for fermenting under pressure would be great. I'll put my recipe for the helles below.

Grain Bill- 10 lbs Weyermann Pils, 1.25 lbs Weyermann Vienna, .25 lb Victory

Hops-1 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh (60), ½ oz Hallertau Mittelfruh (15)

Yeast- Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager (I made 2 liter starter on stir plate)

OG- 1.050
FG- 1.014

I've fermented a few batches under pressure with a similar setup. In my experience, you still need to cold crash and lager (or fine) beers brewed with German lager yeasts. The pressure ferment at ale temps finishes the fermentation faster, but does not eliminate the need to lager or fine for clear beer.

Did you cold crash and lager the helles?

Another thing to consider is water chemistry. When I've brewed helles and bohemian pilsner with soft water, those take longer to clear as well. I've read at least 50 ppm Ca helps clear the beer, but don't quote me on that.

Back