Pressed the cider, but what yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

escher007

Reaction score
Hey all, its been multiple years since I last made cider, with my last batch kind of turning more into an apple wine. I just pressed a bunch of apples (mostly Jonathan and Macintosh) yesterday on our old family press from the 1800s. Its definitely wild.
IMG_8471.jpg

I want to make a few gallons of it into hard cider. I have two different types of yeast. Which would you recommend? The ciderhouse or the redstar montrachet?
IMG_8474.jpg

Please let me know if this sounds about right. I plan on putting a few gallons into a bucket (with airlock) for the primary fermentation, and then later putting it into the carboys for secondary. (I'll be adding the campden tablets, yeast and nutrients as well in the process). In the end I'd like to like to have some carbonation. Thanks much!

Last edited:
i've had good luck with the red star, but i'm thinking that you should save it for a batch of wine.

Latest posts

Back