Preparing the Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poto101

Reaction score
So in one of my kits it said to prepare the priming sugar, you must add it to 2 cups of boiling water and stir for 5 minutes.

my question is, do you keep the water boiling? or do you just add the sugar to the boiling water and turn the heat off while stirring?

I add the sugar to the water and slowly bring it to a boil (just to make sure the sugar doesn't scorch). I let it boil for 5 minutes and chuck it into my bottling bucket once I get the siphon started (no need to let it cool).

I bring my water to a boil, turn off the heat and stir in my sugar. Cover it loosely and let it cool a bit while I sanitize everything and get my bottles ready.

I heat and stir until dissolved. Sometimes it boils, sometimes it doesn't. I don't believe it when people say you have to let it boil.

I heat and stir until dissolved. Sometimes it boils, sometimes it doesn't. I don't believe it when people say you have to let it boil.

I boil it. I prefer to minimize any risk. That makes it easier to trace any future problems that may arise. I never believed the scratched bucket/infection thing until I found myself in line at the special clinic. ;)

I boil it. I prefer to minimize any risk. That makes it easier to trace any future problems that may arise. I never believed the scratched bucket/infection thing until I found myself in line at the special clinic. ;)

True, but sterilization can be done without boiling. Anything around 180 should be enough to kill it. I guess if you're heating, you might as well boil.

How about we just add a few drops of star san to it???? They say it ferments out anyways :p

Back