Preparing for my all grain transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlcek11

Reaction score
So I am preparing to transfer to the all grain method. I am going to make my mash tun out a of a cooler because that seems like that is the cheapest way to start off. I am just trying to figure out what size of cooler I should get. I am going to most likely be brewing 5 gallons at a time. I like big dark beers. What are your thoughts?

What size brew kettle do you currently have? You are on the right track with the cooler mash tun. Go ahead and get a cooler conversion hit at Bargain Fittings to add a ball valve, and get a good false bottom or bazooka screen for the cooler. You should be able to get this full setup for under $100.00, then use your existing kettle as both a HLT and boil kettle, assuming it's of suitable size to do full boils.

BIAB (brew in a bag) would actually be a much cheaper all grain option, but it starts to get a bit prohibitive when you are talking about big beers over about 1.07-1.08 OG, so don't let anyone talk you into BIAB if you see yourself making mostly big beers.

I generally say get a cooler at least the same size as the batch you'll be making. 5g batch, 5g cooler. That's because you'll be mashing in around 3 gallons of water for most grain bills (or more) plus the displacement of the grain itself.

Don't go too big though because the extra head space can cause more rapid temp losses during mash.

I found a 48qt. marine cooler w/free site-to-store shipping on walmart.com, which would be good for most 10g. batches...in case you're thinking ahead.

Latest posts

Back