Premier malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Early this summer I made up a batch of Premier from a can DB found at a local
market, I had seen it for decades and knew that when the local guys talked of home brew that was what they meant. The batch turned out well, not excellent but drinkable and cheap. Then I started looking for the next can of Premire and there was none to be had, and about that time I found this forum.
Twenty pages of reading later (long story short) I called Premier, got the details, mailed of a money order, and now I have a dozen cans of malt; and since malt, yeast and instructions make a brew kit for Cooper and Muntin I
guess it does for Premier.

Twelve Light Malt Extract, 2.2 lbs $5.00 each, $35.00 freight MI to ME,
$95.00 = $8.00 per 5 gallon batch including yeast if you follow their instructions. Add a buck for sugar and thats 31 cents for a 22 oz, or
17 for a 12 oz. We shall see!

Yeast included came in a consumer pack rather than the blank or near blank packs I have had in other kits. Windsor Brewing Yeast, GMO and Gluten Free,
Danstar(r) www.danstaryeast.com 11 g. On back are instructions, product of Austria, expiration 11-2011 Produced for Lallemand Inc. Montreal,QC,
Canada H1w 2N8.

Instructions are ample and contain the following: "If you follow the instructions, that is adding 1 kg of malt to 1/2 U.S. gallon of boiled water and then vary the amount of sugar you add and the cold water balance, beers of varying flavours and alcohol strength will be made. For example: 2 lbs of sugar made up to 34 U.S. pints produced a pleasant drinking beer. 1 1/2 lbs of sugar made up to to 29 U.S. pints produces a beer similar in alcohol strength to English and Canadian beers. 1 1/2 lbs of sugar made up to 24 U.S. pints produces a strong beerin both flavour and alcohol content.

Will follow up on the brewing and tasting details. This has nothing to do with soak or all grain remarkable brews, but a quest for interesting everyday brews for quiet drinking without getting hammered or going broke.

MAsteveINE

@MAsteveINE, look forward to hearing your experiences with Premier. I am still drinking on the batch from my "DIY disposable beer kit;" i.e, a can of PME and a 2.5 gallon bottle of spring water. I got 24 12oz bottles of very drinkable beer for about $12 and very little trouble. I can't buy 24 cans of Bud at Walmart for that price, not that I'd want to.

I'm thinking of using PME as a base for some experiments to see what kinds of beers can be made with it. I've already done a graff by adding a can to 4 gallons of apple juice. That was excellent--didn't last long at all! Thinking of combining it with various dry malt extracts or other ingredients to see what can be easily achieved. If I do I'll be sure to post the results here. Look forward to hearing how it goes for you.

i just picked up 3 cans to throw a quick beer into the fermentor. 2 are older and have a 'made in UK for' labels. the third one has a 'made in Canada' label with corn added to the ingredients list but still says 'all barley extract' underneath. interesting. I am going to use the yeast from the new can as it is dated aug/2011. maybe it is Windsor like MAsteveINE got w his order.
here's my plan:
steep 4 oz carafa I (left over from a previous batch)
add 3 cans of Premier
maybe add 1 small jar (about 1 lb) of Golden Eagle Syrup (probably a brewday decision)
boil 5 gals for 30 min
@ 10 min to go add 1/2 oz Cascade (left over from another previous batch)
@ 1 min to go add the other 1/2 oz Cascade
cool, transfer to the 6.5 gal carboy, pitch yeast that came with the newer can.
taste results in 6-8 weeks.

Sounds like a great recipe--interesting how PME is from Canada and/or UK, but you find it in almost every Piggly Wiggly in the South. +1 on the Golden Eagle Syrup--add it to the brew and you got yourself the makings of a great Southern beer there :) I've used Golden Eagle in a couple of different recipes. I tried making something like a mead with it and some fruit, but it really didn't add any distinctive flavor to the fruit. Maybe in a beer it would be different.

Hey guys,

Any recipes for a 60lb bucket of amber malt made by PME that I acquired(was given)?? Simple and easy preferably..no or little extra ingredients other than grocery bougth stuff...granted I know that I will have to use just a couple of cans a batch but am set up to make 10 gal plus batches....any ideas or help appricated.....

Gonna try to set one this next week..........

I recently saw a can of Golden Eagle Syrup in a Kroger store up in Atlanta. I recalled mention of that somewhere online here so I picked it up--haven't used it yet.

Ingredients claim corn syrup, honey, and molasses, though it didn't specify in what amounts.

Sounds like it would do well in an Ale. though.

Is your extract hopped? If not adjust the following by boiling some hops
to make the hot water.

My post at #201 of this thread gives the proportions that Premier
sugests in their kits, you can multiply to get close to 10 gals, The drill is add some hot water, sugar, and malt to the fermenter, stir well, bring up to desired amount with cold water, that should bring you to a temp of 65 - 75 f
if not make it so, add yeast, seal up, add fermentation lock, wait a week and bottle, (nervous types will check gravity for a couple days before bottling).
With equipment ready a batch takes 10 minutes.

By tradition you can use dry bread yeast, an old fashioned yeast cake if you can find one, get some ale yeast, or I will send you a couple packs of the Danstar they sent me,if you want to try that.

MAsteveINE

Is your extract hopped? If not adjust the following by boiling some hops
to make the hot water.

My post at #201 of this thread gives the proportions that Premier
sugests in their kits, you can multiply to get close to 10 gals, The drill is add some hot water, sugar, and malt to the fermenter, stir well, bring up to desired amount with cold water, that should bring you to a temp of 65 - 75 f
if not make it so, add yeast, seal up, add fermentation lock, wait a week and bottle, (nervous types will check gravity for a couple days before bottling).
With equipment ready a batch takes 10 minutes.

By tradition you can use dry bread yeast, an old fashioned yeast cake if you can find one, get some ale yeast, or I will send you a couple packs of the Danstar they sent me,if you want to try that.

MAsteveINE
MAsteveINE
I do not know...only intel on the bucket is that it is PMP....amber malt and the lot number. I guess I could call PMP and see if they could tell me based on the lot number....

I got ya on the dry bread yeast. I remember using the same kinda set up with my father when I was just a little kid when he would brew with the same kind of ingredients.

Thanks for the help....will look at the other post!!!

QUACKKILLS

if you are set up for 10 gallons I found that for 5 gallons two can make a great 5 gallon brew when cooked for 30 min before pouring off for the yeast. so that would be 4 cans to the brew. If you don't have hops you can use chicory for the bittering. taburo or brown sugar makes a great feeder and chunk in coccoa and a bag of oats of S&Gs that premier make a good batch of beer...if its lightly hopped...and more hops will take it to the next level forget the cats name put if you go back in the posts he made a wicked 4 can beer with hops out the wahzoo and I wish i could have had a pint of that. enjoy and please post what yu decide to do

if you are set up for 10 gallons I found that for 5 gallons two can make a great 5 gallon brew when cooked for 30 min before pouring off for the yeast. so that would be 4 cans to the brew. If you don't have hops you can use chicory for the bittering. taburo or brown sugar makes a great feeder and chunk in coccoa and a bag of oats of S&Gs that premier make a good batch of beer...if its lightly hopped...and more hops will take it to the next level forget the cats name put if you go back in the posts he made a wicked 4 can beer with hops out the wahzoo and I wish i could have had a pint of that. enjoy and please post what yu decide to do

that would be me and my stone arrogant bastard clone. it has mellowed some and is the clearest beer i have brewed to date. it is still a flavor MONSTER. big, malty, and hoppy, just not a bright/hoppy as when it was younger. and abv is about 7%. I am considering brewing another batch of that very soon.

I have an oatmeal porter in the carboy now that has PME as its base (slight modification to my 'gonna make a quick batch' post a few posts back) the oatmeal proteins and fats have created the biggest trub i've ever had. probably lost a gallon of beer, but i hit my original gravity of 1.065 so i'm not too upset.

That sounds worse than the no boil kits that are on the market right now. They used to have kits like that back in the day during and just after Prohibition. If you are going to make this, skip the sugar and buy a second can for more fermentables. 50% table sugar is going to not taste very good, all malt is better.

I second that! I made one of those no-boil kits ... man, what a let down. I can't even begin to describe how wretched it tasted. IMHO, use another can of malt, get some steeping grains, and definitely use some extra hops. mmmm...hops!

I second that! I made one of those no-boil kits ... man, what a let down. I can't even begin to describe how wretched it tasted. IMHO, use another can of malt, get some steeping grains, and definitely use some extra hops. mmmm...hops!

I see you are quoting on an 08 post so I dont see much point in going back there. What was the kit you did not like? The :no boils" available in this area
sell for 14 to 16 dollars and are from OZ (Cooper) and GB (Munton) the PM
Kits sell for +- 6 in the markets where available, 5 from the company plus freight. All 3 of those have made something drinkable for me, but keep in mind that (at least for me) this thread is not about excellent, it is about good for a reasonable price.

If I spent money on something that turned out like yours I would be visiting the place that sold it to me!

MAsteveINE

""This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about... BEER." - Friar Tuck""

[QUOT

Will follow up on the brewing and tasting details. This has nothing to do with soak or all grain remarkable brews, but a quest for interesting everyday brews for quiet drinking without getting hammered or going broke.

MAsteveINE[/QUOTE]

PM #1 Followed the instructions right down the line, one can of malt, 2 lbs of sugar, mixed in hot water, brought to 5 gallons with cold water arriving at
70F, sprinkle yeast, seal add fermentation lock, check gravity at 7 days and bottle.

At 8 days bottled to 28 - 22oz bottles.

Kit cost with yeast $8.00, sugar .80 total $8.80 = 31 cents per bottle.
If in 12 oz would have made 51 @ 17 cents each.

At 3 weeks in bottle I took some of this to a brew meeting with 6 guys, who agreed it would be a usefull product for summer; the farmer said " cold, light, low alcohol would be great in the hay field." All approved my name nomination of "Guppy Piss"

PM # 2 was with 1 1/2 lbs sugar and less water, came out smoother, stronger, more of a reminder of what home brew was.

PM # 3 dropped another 5 pints of water, and is still in bottle.

Those 3 were in the instructions, from there I am on my own. What is in the fermenter is 2 cans of malt, steeped Crystal, brought to 6 gallons with cold water which came up to 70F at 1032 so I added a pound of sugar and got 1042 and sealed her up with a pack of Danstar Windsor Yeast.

MAsteveINE

""This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about... BEER." - Friar Tuck""

My last experience with PM was trying my Disposable Beer Kit, basically a throw-away batch using a 2.5 gallon bottle of spring water and a couple dozen recycled soda bottles. Instead of doubling the malt I just halved the water. I drank the last one just before Christmas. Tonight, being temporarily between homebrews I had a Sam Adams--which was fine except the more I drank it the more I missed the taste of my cheap-&-easy PM brew. It must not have turned out too badly after all...

I have whipped up 5 gal batches using 1 and 2 cans of PME and sugar plus some finishing hops and didn't like them at all. my buddies drank the stuff. My fave overall 5 gal batch so far was 3 cans PME boiled for 15 min with 1 oz northern brewer hops thrown in at 5 min to go. Mostly because it tasted fantastic after about a month inthe keg, but also because I could drink several in a session vs my 7% abv PME Arrogant Bastard clone.
Understand that I also all-grain brew but make quick PME batches to keep decent beer on tap and have enjoyed most of it.

I'm definitely going to search this out. I only get the time to brew a few batches a year at my parents house, but while at school I could whip together a batch of Premier a few times per term. It can't be worse than what most people drink in college.

actually a two can Premier is similar as a Yuengling lager ...if you add additional hops you can bump it up. It can be made in a 5 gallon water cooler bottle

actually a two can Premier is similar as a Yuengling lager ...if you add additional hops you can bump it up. It can be made in a 5 gallon water cooler bottle

+1 on the Yuengling--it does resemble it. Plus you can bottle it in dark bottles so it tastes better. Yuengling is one of my favorite commercial brews but I can only drink it out somewhere they have it on tap. Every single bottle I have ever tried has been skunked--don't know if it's the green glass or what.

+1 on the Yuengling--it does resemble it. Plus you can bottle it in dark bottles so it tastes better. Yuengling is one of my favorite commercial brews but I can only drink it out somewhere they have it on tap. Every single bottle I have ever tried has been skunked--don't know if it's the green glass or what.

Was this Yuengling bought in AL? I guess it could be the treatment of the bottles during shipment. Every bottle of Yuengling I've had was great, although it obviously wasn't the same as having it on tap. One great thing about Philly is that Yuengling is very often specialed for $2 drafts all night.

Was this Yuengling bought in AL? I guess it could be the treatment of the bottles during shipment. Every bottle of Yuengling I've had was great, although it obviously wasn't the same as having it on tap. One great thing about Philly is that Yuengling is very often specialed for $2 drafts all night.

Yeah, most of them came from a convenience store nearby--fluorescent lights 24/7. Have to say that every time I have it on tap it's great, though. A couple of times I've started to pick up another sixer and try again, but the last one I had stunk so bad I've been afraid to risk good beer money on it :) I'll probably try again when I can find a better store. Back to the original point, though--if you boost up the malt with PME, either by doubling the recipe or cutting the water in half, it's a pretty reasonable Yuengling facsimile.

Yeah, most of them came from a convenience store nearby--fluorescent lights 24/7. Have to say that every time I have it on tap it's great, though. A couple of times I've started to pick up another sixer and try again, but the last one I had stunk so bad I've been afraid to risk good beer money on it :) I'll probably try again when I can find a better store. Back to the original point, though--if you boost up the malt with PME, either by doubling the recipe or cutting the water in half, it's a pretty reasonable Yuengling facsimile.

I'm now determined to search out some Premier by the end of the week...and buy out all the stock in the store. I need a cheap recipe I can start "mass" brewing to keep myself and friends from having to resort to BMC on the weekends.

I'm now determined to search out some Premier by the end of the week...and buy out all the stock in the store. I need a cheap recipe I can start "mass" brewing to keep myself and friends from having to resort to BMC on the weekends.

That's the beauty of the stuff--- :)

cuinrearview: You totally get it. Sometimes it's not about making the best beer, it's just about all that other important stuff, and hopefully it still gets you drunk

i got some of this going right now, but if i was to use corn syrup on my next batch (instead of sugar) how much would i use?

Joy of Cooking, 1964 edition, page 506:

"For the same amount of sweetening power, you have to substitute

2 cups (light) corn syrup for 1 cup of sugar."

MAsteveINE

(selfishly bumping thread)

Just this weekend, I obtained a 15gal crock that my family used to brew their beer before, during, and after prohibition. I want to find some Premier and do some open fermentation experiments in ye ole' family vessel.

Anyone know if there is a Premier supplier in central Texas (between DFW and Abilene, or somewhere therabouts)?

picked up 6 cans of 1 kg PME at piggly wiggly in georgia. I made it today, basically following the instructions. I had to really struggle with myself to NOT add any hops, grains, or anything to it. I wanted to see what a "by the book" cheap batch would taste like. I did alter it SLIGHTLY though. Others complained about bitterness from using table sugar, so here's what i did:

brought 1 gallon water to a boil. remove from heat.
add 1 can (1 kg) PME (naturally hopped).
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup table sugar
stir till mixed and cooled it down to ~95 degrees.

had 2 cool gallons of water in the carboy, added the wort and it ended up spot on at 70 degrees. yep, a 3 gallon batch. OG was 1.040. pitched the yeast and put on the airlock.

I thought someone mentioned that brown sugar may reduce bitterness. if not, oh well.

it smelled fine. it was by far the cheapest 3 gallon batch I have ever made. next time i will add a couple ounces of hops and see what that does. I will report back after i keg and taste it in a few weeks.

Sure says a lot about that vendor!

From what I can find, the guys who can find it in the markets are paying
about $6.00, while the company price is $5.00 plus freight in full cases of 12 cans. My case MI to ME was $36.00 freight for a delivered cost of $8.00
per can.

2 months of ICU and recovery(so far) have taken away a lot of the sampling and reporting that I intended to do, but I assure, we hase some highly usefull brews in the cellar.

Should be no problem keeping cans on the shelf for 2+ years so with 5 cans of light still left I am about to order a case of dark to see how it makes up.
Just another side trip on the trail to all grain

MAsteveINE

picked up 6 cans of 1 kg PME at piggly wiggly in georgia. I made it today, basically following the instructions. I had to really struggle with myself to NOT add any hops, grains, or anything to it. I wanted to see what a "by the book" cheap batch would taste like. I did alter it SLIGHTLY though. Others complained about bitterness from using table sugar, so here's what i did:

brought 1 gallon water to a boil. remove from heat.
add 1 can (1 kg) PME (naturally hopped).
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup table sugar
stir till mixed and cooled it down to ~95 degrees.

had 2 cool gallons of water in the carboy, added the wort and it ended up spot on at 70 degrees. yep, a 3 gallon batch. OG was 1.040. pitched the yeast and put on the airlock.

I thought someone mentioned that brown sugar may reduce bitterness. if not, oh well.

it smelled fine. it was by far the cheapest 3 gallon batch I have ever made. next time i will add a couple ounces of hops and see what that does. I will report back after i keg and taste it in a few weeks.

after 13 days in primary, transferred to secondary/keg today. OG was 1.040, FG was 1.004 for aBV of 4.7 %

Man, this is a LIGHT beer (color wise). since this was a fairly generic beer, i did a little experiment. I bottled 2 bottles worth. one with some fuggles, and one with cascade. Just boiled a tiny amount of water and hops, filtered them, then added to the bottle with some priming tabs. I just want to compare the difference in the 2 hops in a few weeks.

I'll report back on the flavor of the cheap-ass PME in few weeks when I carb and chill it.

after 13 days in primary, transferred to secondary/keg today. OG was 1.040, FG was 1.004 for aBV of 4.7 %

Man, this is a LIGHT beer (color wise). since this was a fairly generic beer, i did a little experiment. I bottled 2 bottles worth. one with some fuggles, and one with cascade. Just boiled a tiny amount of water and hops, filtered them, then added to the bottle with some priming tabs. I just want to compare the difference in the 2 hops in a few weeks.

I'll report back on the flavor of the cheap-ass PME in few weeks when I carb and chill it.
I appreciate the posts and responses on this topic!
So far I haven't found a PW, etc. where PME is available---but looking forward to seeing your update here!
Thanx
Dick Gaines
;)

I appreciate the posts and responses on this topic!
So far I haven't found a PW, etc. where PME is available---but looking forward to seeing your update here!
Thanx
Dick Gaines
;)

I'll def. update in a few weeks when I try it. honestly, I am not optimistic. I just hope it is palatable.

Gunny, if you find yourself near Jacksonville, let me know and I'll give you a can of this stuff. By your profile it looks like you are in Florida somewhere, but it is a big state.

I'll def. update in a few weeks when I try it. honestly, I am not optimistic. I just hope it is palatable.

Wow! Not bad. It is a very drinkable session beer. Not great at all, but pretty OK. Remember, I made it a 3 Gal batch using 1 lb brown sugar, and 1/2 pound table sugar. Super cheap, and better than Bud!

Gave some to 2 guys I work with who are BMC drinkers. Both seemed to genuinely like it, and even asked for more.

Great experiement. I have 5 more cans. I'll try something different next time, but not TOO different. I like having something simple on tap. Maybe just add a little hops and see how it comes out.

John

does anyone know the IBUs or SRM or PME? Its not in Beersmith, and I can't find the info on the internet, or the website for PME.

It is hopped, so it's gotta add some IBUs.

i have tried to research pme hops amounts but cannot find any info. 3 cans in 5 gals is pretty dang bitter but i like it. i always add finishing hops too. the pme batches i have made all seem VERY harsh until they are a few months old. then they magically mellow out and are very good. i keg so bottled batch aging might be different...

I just picked up a 2.2 lbs. can of PME Extra Pale. I'm going to do a 2.5 gallon batch with the sugars I have on hand, 8 oz. of granulated white and 8 oz. of golden brown.

I am going to use the unlabeled packet of yeast that came with it. I called Premier and they said it's an "ale" yeast.

What's the difference between the "light" I see throughout this forum and the "extra pale" I just picked up?

I have a room in our house that stays between 55-60 and another room that I can keep between 60-65.

I would rather do the cooler room. My understanding is that the cooler temps will work as long as it doesn't drop below 50, but that fermentation will take longer.

Any comments are welcome. Thanks

I have been buying direct from Permier, a case of light last year and one of dark here now. (12 cans $96.00 delivered)
Would you tell us of the store and the price where you found it.

Part of the directions for light and dark are in post # 201, are they different from your Extra Pale.

Looking forward to hearing about your experience!

MAsteveINE

Dang .. I think after brewing 4 other batches of beer all extract with steeping grains and TONS of extra hops.. for a 1/4 the price i need to atleast try this.. if its no got then its only a few $'s used and learning experience.. Anyone know of any places in KS or MO that have this? Kc area here.. Thanks!

So the only place that sells it somewhat locally they want $14.50 each.. for only $0.75 more i can get alexanders pale malt.. so I dont think i will be doing this for that amount unless i can find it somewhere way cheeper.. on a road trip maybe..
http://www.eckraus.com/Page_1/PM110_____DH.html is about a 35 min drive for me and that is just way too much for this i believe.. Even their Alexander is about $4 more than my LHBS

I have been buying direct from Permier, a case of light last year and one of dark here now. (12 cans $96.00 delivered)
Would you tell us of the store and the price where you found it.

Part of the directions for light and dark are in post # 201, are they different from your Extra Pale.

Looking forward to hearing about your experience!

MAsteveINE

Here are the directions. Paraphrased a bit.

1) Empty can and 2lbs. granulated sugar into fermenting bin. Boil 1/2 gallon water, cool slightly and stir into malt extract/sugar mixture.
2) Add 34 pints of cold water and stir thoroughly. The final temperature of the mixture should be approximately 65-75 degrees.
3) Sprinkle the provided brewing yeast onto the prepared mixture.
4) Cover container with lid and insert airlock.
5) Stand the fermenting bin in a place between 65-75 degrees for 7-10 days.

I picked this can up for $6.50 at a local grocer here in Kalispell, MT called Rosauers.

Back