Pre-made sanitation solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefencore

Reaction score
If I filled a keg with clean, unused sanitizer, how long would it stay useful? I use starsan, and often find myself using just small amounts of sanitizer.

A long time. You can use ph strips or a ph meter to determine when it's reached the end of it's life but I read alot about folks filling a bucket with starsan soln, sealing it, and using it time after time... A sealed keg would be even better.

A long time. You can use ph strips or a ph meter to determine when it's reached the end of it's life but I read alot about folks filling a bucket with starsan soln, sealing it, and using it time after time... A sealed keg would be even better.

+1

I keep a carboy loaded with Star-San solution and use it repeatedly, dumping it into my sanitation bucket for brew days, racking days, kegging days, etc. I test it each time to make sure it's still hanging in around pH = ~3 and as long as it's still viable I reload the carboy and cork it until the next use...

Cheers!

Star-San prepared with distilled water basically will last indefinitely, so long as you don't introduce much organic matter. I used the last batch of star san for a year or two, and only dumped it because I left my beer gun "open" as I connected it to the keg.

it does depend on the water used to mix it up....very hard water will turn cloudy quickly, and won't last as long.

but soft or distilled water will last almost indefinitly

Latest posts

Back