Pre boil Gravity vs OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooterjbrew

Reaction score
Completed my first all grain NEIPA batch tonight and had plenty of hiccups and questions along the way. First, had issues getting clean runs from the first runnings of mash. Started slow and and kept getting clogged with grain and it took forever to get the mash ran cleanly. Two batch sparges and by the last it ran great and the wort looked really good but with some sediment, not bad though.

Second, took my pre boil gravity and needed a target of 10.041 and got 10.068 at 120F, way way high. Right?

Third, steeped my whirlpool hops at 170F for 25min and then ran wort thru my therminator into carboy. Pitched my Wyeast 1318 and realized I pitched at 80F while I was pitching the yeast smh then realized I forgot to take OG. Took OG after pitch and got 10.060 at 80F which comes to 10.062. Target was 10.060. Color looks great and I'm very close to my target OG. So, all good or oh **** nothing really aligned the way it should?

So now I have the carboy sitting in my Ferm chamber cooling with a cold shirt (also) to try and hit my Ferm temp (64) as soon as possible. Going to bed and hoping to see activity when I wake tomorrow.

Any opinions to why the pre boil was so high vs OG, what I may screwed up by pitching 1318 at 80f? Any other advice or opinions on what happened.

Also with the MLT I'm using a 10gal igloo with a false bottom from Brew Hardware. I could not get a good stream from the first runnings without tons of grain coming through. I tried this with a hose hooked up to the MLT for siphoning purposes to get as much volume out as I could. I had to take the hose completely off to get it flowing good. Tried shorter hose as well. The third run off finally got a decent flow to it and the grain bed finally settled and filtered good. There was still a ton of grain under the false bottom when I cleaned up. What was I doing wrong here??

11.75lb grain bill
Mash - 3.85gal at 152F
Sparge 1 - 1.10gal
Sparge 2 - 3.40gal
Boil 60min
Hop at 45min
Flameout hops
Cool to 170 steep/whirlpool second hops for 25min
Ran beer though therminator into carboy.
Edit* Added 1/2Gal of RO to carboy*
Ran oxygenation for 60sec and pitched yeast
Now in carboy as mentioned above

Looking forward to feedback. Thanks!!!

There is absolutely no way your post-boil SG (i.e. OG) could be lower than your pre-boil SG, unless you added water after taking your pre-boil SG. I'm going to assume you didn't do that. The option that's left is that your pre-boil SG was in error due to insufficient mixing of the first runnings and sparge runnings, and you happened to take your sample from a spot that was richer in first runnings than the average. It's actually quite easy to insufficiently mix the different runnings, and get a bad pre-boil reading. I've done it myself.

But since your OG is close to target, you should be good.

Brew on :mug:

Doug293cz that's exactly what I said when I measured it but....you are correct possibly on both points. I did add 1/2gal of RO top off water to fermenter. (All of those steps and I left that out). I knew that would lower the G but not that much for 1/2gal. Second when I took pre boil there is an great chance that the rubbings were not mixed well enough and the sample pulled was straight from the BK spigot which would have been right from the bottom of all the runnings, and did not get mixed up well enough. Top off water had to be added because of the issues with the MLT losing so much water. I could not get the siphoning to work correctly and it probably left 1/2gal + in the MLT below the false bottom. Very aggravated with the first use of the this false bottom. Thanks for your input, now going to edit original post. Cheers

Back