Powered cereal killer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SleepyCreekBrews

Reaction score
Hey Y'all,
A lot of us probably grind our grain bill by attaching a drill and holding the trigger until it's all done. I thought I'd share an experiment I tried recently that worked at really well.

Many of us probably own a cordless drill that no longer holds a charge and is only good for drilling a hole or two before it's dead. I had a Hitachi 3/8" VSR, dual-speed drill (it has a selector switch on the top for Low-speed/high-torque (400 rpm), or regular speed (1700 rpm) .

I attached it to the shaft of the cereal killer and fashioned a torque arm to the base of the mill. and then I power it up with a 12VDC power supply from a PC. The power supply has approximately 10 amps on the 12vdc. I suspect 5 amps would do the job. I use a small hose clamp on the trigger to run the grain mill at approx 120 RPM. Works like a charm.

check the youtube video below for additional details

I hope this helps someone else to be able to step away from the grain mill on brew day.
Lemme know if you have any questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back