Pouring Guinness - methods explained?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhermetz

Reaction score
I've been reseraching methods of pouring a Guinness clone. It seems everyone has there own way of doing it. I haven't really heard any of the pro/cons of each though. Maybe you can help me out. I'm brewing this bad boy on the weekend and I want to have the setup ready for it.

1. Using only c02. Regular tap:
This version makes me nervous. I have read a couple accounts that they can get the foamy head and low carbonation with this method however. They carb to 1.6 volumns then pour through a regular tap at 15PSI. This requires you to bleed off the excess pressure after every pint or after a night of drinking multiple Guiness.

Pro: Cheap, no new equipment.
Con: wasting extra c02, not 100% authentic.

2. Beer Gas 75% n2 and 25% c02 split. Stout Tap:
The authentic way. This requires you to carb using c02 then using a separate tank (beergas) to push the beer through the stout faucet @30PSI. This is not possible for me. I can't find a place to buy beergas from; at least with in a 100km.

Pro: Authentic and best way to pour
Con: Expensive, new equipment costs.

3. C02 and Nitrogen seperatly. Stout tap:
I have only read this once and I couldn't quote it if I tried. I however do not see why this would be a problem other then the fact you will have to closely monitor the volumns of c02 in your beer from dropping to low while on Nitrogen. You simply carb the beer to 1.6 volumns, disconnect the c02 and attached directly to 100% Nitrogen to push the beer out @30PSI. Again, you probably couldn't leave the nitrogen on the beer for too long without lossing some volumns of c02.

Pro: Authentic pour.
Con: Expensive, new equipment costs, little more work.

With that being said, if anyone has something to add please let me know. Also, If anyone uses option #1, I would love to see a picture of the results.

I plan on going with option #3. Haven't sourced out a N2 place yet but I'm sure the place I get my c02 from has strictly N2 tanks too.

Now I just need to find a cheap stout faucet in Canada. Probably harder then it sounds. :(

I use #2, but I run the blend gas for both force carb and serving. Also, I think my pressure for serving is less than 30psi.

This is sorta related to your question... Watch the video if you truly want to POUR it correctly. Bartenders in the U.S. don't - in Ireland they actually have a training for it I think. There's a waiting period involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure hope you are getting a good pint of Guinness in the US. Any good bar will have actual bartenders not idiots serving drinks. At least in my neck of the woods it is easy to find a proper pint of Guinness almost anywhere. I have sent many improperly served pints back. You can honestly taste the difference. I find that gas balance and clean lines affect the taste and experience of Guinness more than any other beer I have regularly. There are pubs I always get a Guinness at and those I never will again.

If your pub is serving it wrong tell them, just don't be a dick about it.

Any good bar will have actual bartenders not idiots serving drinks.

I don't think it's that they're idiots, probably just that some of them just don't know any better. And I should have said "it seems to ME, that bartenders in the U.S. RARELY pour Guinness correctly".

I am sure it is regional. I am very spoiled where I live to have one of the better alcohol cultures in the US. It still isn't an excuse to pour a Guinness right. It isn't rocket science.

I recently (a year ago I suppose) witnesses an improperly poured pint and it was a laughable display. The guy put the glass down flat under the spout and poured the whole glass full just like he would a Miller Lite. The thing gushed all over the place, then he wiped it off and tried handing it to my friend. Upon the look my friend was giving him, he retracted it and said, 'Yeah I haven't poured one before'. We then told him how to do it and he bought us a round.

Just be nice and people generally appreciate your help.

I don't think it's that they're idiots, probably just that some of them just don't know any better. And I should have said "it seems to ME, that bartenders in the U.S. RARELY pour Guinness correctly".

Depends on the place. If I'm in a crowded meat-market bar, I'm not expecting anything poured right, ditto if I'm at a chain restaurant or something.

But pretty much every sit-down pub I've been to around here--Alexandria, VA--pours like that vid, with a partial pour and settle. A good bartender will anticipate (and ask if you're having another) so that you're not waiting for the next to settle after each beer.

Sadly, I've been served Guinness from a CO2 tap - quite an awful experience - and probably one of the most expensive pints I've ever bought. It was in a posh rooftop bar (I forget the name) in Washington, DC... my home city :(.
But pretty much every other Irish stout I've ever bought in the DC area has been on par with any I've had in Dublin (where I'm sitting as I type). You have to make sure there are two phases to the pour. Filling it at least 3/4 of the way with the n2 infused beer...then topping it off to the perfect pint a few seconds later.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/fellow-homebrewers-meet-my-new-beer-engine-10529/

Beer gas initially was made to mimic a pour from a beer engine (ala real ale). This cheap solution could be a winner for you. I know this project is still on my list of to-do projects.

+1

Nitro is a gimmick (that stuck around) but any beer that is good on nitro will be better from a beer engine (assuming it is fresh, too many bars in the US will put a cask on and not turn it over fast enough).

Nitro is cheaper and easier though, although the cost of a second tank and stout faucet in the home setting makes it close on price.

One more way that I've done myself:

Carbonate with CO2 to 1.6 volumes. At the very beginning of the pour, open the CO2 tap just a crack, allowing gas to come out of solution. After about a second, open the tap all the way. The bubbles from the initial second of pouring act as nucleation sites, drawing more CO2 out of solution as the pour continues. This creates a nice head and a cascading effect that's not quite as good as nitrogen. Finish the pour as shown in the video.

pros: cheap
cons: least authentic, takes practice

Can you get a tank of pure nitrogen or argon? Such as from a welding supply place? If so #3 would work best. I think a couple people on here use 100% nitrogen or argon and do not notice losing carbonation over the course of weeks. Worst case, if it does lose some carbonation, hook it back up to CO2. Shouldn't take long to carbonate again since it is such a small volume.

okay so I did my taxes and I get a whopping $2,850 back!

That means I don't feel guilty about buying this setup now. I need advice though:

1. I found a local supplier of Nitro and Argon. Is there a difference?
2. I have an old c02 regulator from when I only had 1 tap. Could that regulator be used for Nitrogen or Argon? Or will I need to upgrade or buy a new Nitrogen regulator?
3. If any Canadians know of a place to buy the stout faucet let me know! If I can avoid paying for shipping from the states that would be sweet.

okay so I did my taxes and I get a whopping $2,850 back!

That means I don't feel guilty about buying this setup now. I need advice though:

1. I found a local supplier of Nitro and Argon. Is there a difference?
2. I have an old c02 regulator from when I only had 1 tap. Could that regulator be used for Nitrogen or Argon? Or will I need to upgrade or buy a new Nitrogen regulator?
3. If any Canadians know of a place to buy the stout faucet let me know! If I can avoid paying for shipping from the states that would be sweet.

Go with Nitrogen, but Argon can work.

As for the regulator, if you can find this in Canada it should work.
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draf...ank/co2_regulator_nitrogen_tank_adapter.shtml

Sorry I can't help you about the faucet. Good luck!

Back