Potential over carb fix --HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatchstickBrewingCo.

Reaction score
So I bottled an IPA last night and had used a priming solution calculator on NB to figure out how much sugar I needed. I figured I had about 4.5 gallons to bottle and used that in my calculating but when I was actually bottling I only had about 3.5 gallons. So basically I'm assuming I'm going to have over carbonated beer.

Is there anything I can do now to combat this? Like maybe let it carbonate in a little bit cooler temps? I have a ferm fridge with temp controller so that wouldn't be a problem to do really. Any ideas would help!

Forgot to ask this;
Was it 3.5 gallons into the bottles or was it 3.5 gallons in the bottling bucket. I always have some waste, so the volume in the bottles is less than what I calculated for priming sugar.

3.41 ounces of priming sugar for 3.5 gallons would be about 2.7 volumes of CO2. This is a little fizzy for an IPA.
You can let the bottle conditioning go to completion. Pour into a tall glass and let the head subside, off gassing some CO2, to lessen the carbonation bite so the hops come through.
Bottle condition for about a week. Open one bottle, if there is a sharp hiss of CO2 release, refrigerate to drop the yeast into dormancy, and stop further carbonation.
Let the bottles complete carbonation at room temperature, loosen each cap to release CO2 and recap immediately. Would have to do this two to three times. There is a risk of oxidizing the beer.
Option two is the best if you can keep all of the bottles refrigerated.

Ok I'll definitely try option number 2 and hope for the best. Going away tomorrow for a week and a half though, but at least it'll give me something to look forward to when I come back!

Back