Potential mold on mead at day 4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delphine

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am new to brewing! Just started this past Thursday, made a batch of mead by just mixing honey and water and rely on wild bacteria (following the advices of Sandor Katz and his book Wild Fermentation). My batch is in a non-reactive pot and convered with a loose shirt. I've been mixing it 4 to 5 times a day (maybe not enough). So it's been the 4th day sitting at room temp at 66-72. This morning I looked at it closely and I could see fuzzy clumps right under the surface. It was bubbly a little though too. So not sure if it could be mold. I skimmed a couple clumps but just mixed it all out and was planning to siphon it in a few days of it gets more bubbly.
Any opinions about the potential mold?
Thank you in advance for taking time of helping a helpless newbie! :)
Delphine

image.jpg

Doesn't look bad to me. Granted, I've drank moldy brews before. But as an aside, this doesn't look like mold offhand, but it really doesn't look like ANYTHING, offhand. Give it time. Try not to worry. And drink it, regardless. ;)

Probably just yeast or some left over foamy gunk from the honey. Looks like you've got nothing to worry about.

Since you're doing a wild fermentation i'd just keep an eye on it and take some gravity readings to see if it's actively fermenting.

Another thing to consider: if it's raw honey, that may be wax deposits from the honeycomb. Little wax beads won't harm anything and they can filter out when you rack to secondary.

Back