Pot luck beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jps7117

Reaction score
I've got some left over ingredients and I want to do a Pot luck beer. Here is the ingredients:

7.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 60.00 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 8.00 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 8.00 %
1.00 lb Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 8.00 %
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 8.00 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
0.50 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 15.1 IBU
0.25 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
0.25 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (30 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
0.25 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (15 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.25 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

If anyone would like to look it over and tell me if there is something I shouldn't do here I would appreciate it . :mug:

Looks like a smoked brown ale/porter, should be good with that grain bill. How much color do you think the smoked grains will add? That might be your difference in the colors, though I really still lean toward a porter color with the 1 lb. of crystal and the chocolate malt in there.

I don't really know about such things, so don't take my word for it, but I say if they are just leftover ingredients GO FOR IT!

Whats the worst that could happen? You'll will get beer, the best is you'll get a really good beer :mug:

But then again, you could get 5 gallons of nasty :(

Still, I say give it a try and post the results ;)

Well, it's kegged and aging. After one week it tastes pretty damn good. The smoke is very light. This was my first brew that I didn't follow somebody's recipe. I just plugged it into beersmith then brewed. I was aiming for a porter, but I think it became a Stout. (Still not sure what makes a Stout a Stout and a Porter a Porter.)

It will be known as "Smoked Pot Luck Stout" :mug:

Except for the 55lb bag of 2-row (well, 40lb now), I store left overs in plastic bags, identify with perm marker, then put in the beer fridge.

IMG_4814.jpg

The chocolate malt I had been holding onto for another recipe, but I decided to throw it in this one.

The one lb of 6-row never made it into the recipe, I added another 1.5lb 2-row instead.

This one turned out so good, I brewed another. This time I used 2 Lb of Smoked malt. :mug:

Back