Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, in that case let it ride until it gets to where you want it or it re-stabilizes.

Will it still carb up after that long time in primary or i should add yeast at bottling day?
Will i oxidize it in the primary? It already looks darker than the previous photos (i made the previous photos with flash so maybe that is why)

Will it still carb up after that long time in primary or i should add yeast at bottling day?
Will i oxidize it in the primary? It already looks darker than the previous photos (i made the previous photos with flash so maybe that is why)

You don't need to worry about oxidation much in sour beer! I would add a hydrated packet of champagne yeast at bottling! EC-1118 is the norm.

You don't need to worry about oxidation much in sour beer! I would add a hydrated packet of champagne yeast at bottling! EC-1118 is the norm.

Why is that? The wild yeast keep consuming the oxigen during their life?

So my pumpkin stout has this on top on day 6. Kind of creamy looking bubbles. Time to worry?

image.jpg

More noob-ish fermenting questions!! If the smell coming through my airlock is hoppy/alcoholish smell, is there a need to worry? It's a chocolate stout and it's just not the smell I expected to be coming through.

More noob-ish fermenting questions!! If the smell coming through my airlock is hoppy/alcoholish smell, is there a need to worry? It's a chocolate stout and it's just not the smell I expected to be coming through.

In response I must ask. What yeast, what temp is it and did you oxygenate?

Different yeasts throw different smells when fermenting and do not necessarily mean the beer will be bad. You should be fine. For the best beer poissible keep the yeast happy. Shake the crap out of your fermenter before pitching (or use an O2 wand), pitch enough healthy yeast (use a calculator) and keep the fermentation temps in the range described with the yeast and you should be well.

With a stout you are usually insulated against many off flavors as it is a rather strong flavored beer. Let her ride and you should be all right.

Unlikely an infection, alcohol smell likely means fusels which begs the question of your fermentation temperature.

It smells like vodka?

I took my reading today and my OG was 1.052 and i ended at 1.014 so not the best, but im okay with it. And it tastes good! So maybe I was worrying just because of the hop smell coming through. Just going to let it condition a little longer I suppose

All-grain milling my own.
Have had 2 ruined batches in a row!
Same Better bottle carbouy.
Smell is foul very harsh on the nose taste is even worse. starts bitter finishes even worse terrible!
No pic as both looked fine.
After first ruined batch i used star san, vinegar, bleach, then more star san.
Carbouy is in the trash!
Recommendation on a different fermentation vessel?
thanks,
Matt

I'm a new brewer, just have a question. After seeing some of the pics here I don't think this is infection but I'll post the picture anyway. It's a coopers real ale kit with 1kg coopers BE2 and 500g light dry malt.. Been brewing 6 days now

What I'm wondering about is the brown scum stuff floating on top near the back edge..
View attachment 233314ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414911528.070810.jpg

Well, at 6 days I see the krausen receding. Those are little yeast rafts or "floaters". Dang power went out for a few seconds. Had to reboot.

Ok thanks. That's what I suspected it was.. I just hadn't seen it before in any of my previous brews.

I am assuming infection. Primary 2.5 weeks.

Can I rack it to secondary to save it?

https://twitter.com/tombsy19/status/529053866873323520?s=15

As unionrdr said it could be the start of a lacto infection. Or just some oil floating on the top. Time will tell.

Since you opened the fermentor, I hope you took a gravity reading and taste sample. That's a decent gauge.

If it's lacto, the "skin" on top (pellicle) will become thicker and your beer will become sour over time. There is really nothing you can do about it, except rack from underneath, bottle, let carb up for a week or 2 (or less if it goes fast) refrigerate all of them, and drink fast (2-3 weeks) to prevent bottle bombs.

Then again, let taste and gravity be your guide.

First time I've done this Nut Brown Ale extract 5 gallons. The only thing that concerns me is the krausen started out dark brown and has been slowly changing to a white/clear. Just wondered if this is normal. This is 1 1/2 days after being brewed. This is also the first time I have used liquid yeast, I have always used dry before. Yeast is White Labs WLP002 English Ale. Temperature is a fairly constant 72 degrees. Thanks all!

20141104_054253.jpg

20141104_054418.jpg

First time I've done this Nut Brown Ale extract 5 gallons. The only thing that concerns me is the krausen started out dark brown and has been slowly changing to a white/clear. Just wondered if this is normal. This is 1 1/2 days after being brewed. This is also the first time I have used liquid yeast, I have always used dry before. Yeast is White Labs WLP002 English Ale. Temperature is a fairly constant 72 degrees. Thanks all!

It is fine. That's what darker beers do, darker krausen and break, it will get pushed outward and stick to the side.

This thread is hilarious. It seems like more than half of posts are just of normal fermentations that people just refuse to RDWHAHB. We should start a thread called "New brewer worries? Post your picture here and we will ease your mind"

Back