Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The San Diego just kicked up. Tmrw it should be in full burp. I removed all the mold from the top so hopefully none grew back in the lack of O2.

FYI, you cannot "remove" mold by simply skimming it off the top. The film on the top is just a symptom. If you have mold in your beer, it's throughout the solution, not isolated to the surface.

I dont know what this is.. I saw another post with similar looking white film and some said it looked like brett, when I racked to bottling bucket the majority of the film stuck to the side of the carboy some fell into solution, what do you guys think it is. BTW it doesnt taste bad right now, 51 bottles will be carbed and ready in 1 week..

Looks like the start of Brett... Or what I got, most of it is guessing. It starts out with white filmy bubbles here and there then completely covers the top.

First time I did cider I got the same, it's OK... I think. Did you use ale yeast?

For now let it ride for sure. Although it's cider, it looks like break material when brewing beer plus some small bubbles from co2 coming out of solution. My bet is that you're fine.

For now let it ride for sure. Although it's cider, it looks like break material when brewing beer plus some small bubbles from co2 coming out of solution. My bet is that you're fine.

Okay thanks man, it's just those white specs on top that were bothering me like I said, it's a graff (1 part beer/3 parts cider) so maybe it's just breaking weird

Just curious to know if this might be infected as i have never had one that is. It actually tasted nicely hoppy (chinook) with a nice hop aroma smell. It tasted nothing i could identify as infection other than looks.

Just wondering what those floating things are?

Dead yeast or something worse?

NQr8iZF.jpg

Just curious to know if this might be infected as i have never had one that is. It actually tasted nicely hoppy (chinook) with a nice hop aroma smell. It tasted nothing i could identify as infection other than looks.

Just wondering what those floating things are?

Dead yeast or something worse?

NQr8iZF.jpg

Looks normal I believe krausen. If you rack to a secondary it shouldnt re-appear. all my normal eers look like that after primary ferm is done.

Foamy, bubbly krausen, even a thick one, can be normal. Having said that, look at the upper 1/3 to the right in the pic. Do I see white streaky tinge there, or is it just me?

Foamy, bubbly krausen, even a thick one, can be normal. Having said that, look at the upper 1/3 to the right in the pic. Do I see white streaky tinge there, or is it just me?

Krausen doesnt form big fat bubbles that stay like that. And if you look at the pic you can see the Krausen ring that formed when it was at its peak. It looks to have fallen and now whats left is what the infection has put to the surface.

I've had thick, dense krausens like that that weren't infected. But I swear I saw that white streaky tinge in upper-right quadrant. Earth control, something's wrong! Can ya hear me major Tom? ;)

I've had thick, dense krausens like that that weren't infected. But I swear I saw that white streaky tinge in upper-right quadrant. Earth control, something's wrong! Can ya hear me major Tom? ;)

We both agree its infected. I agree about the white streaky stuff too. BUT that krausen is not normal. Thick, dense krausen doesn't form big bubbles you see at the bottom of the pic which look like bubbles produced by lacto.

How many times are you going to reference major tom today?

You guys can argue over that picture all you like, but we really need more info from the brewer to make it more clear. What kind of beer& yeast, how long ago was it brewed, etc.

Am i the only one that sees the krausen ring in the bucket? thats where it rose and its fallen since then. whats left is prob yeast, trub, pelicle, and lacto looking bubbles sitting on top of the beer.

Edit: double post.

This Forum needs to get its act together. glitches everywhere.

Am i the only one that sees the krausen ring in the bucket? thats where it rose and its fallen since then. whats left is prob yeast, trub, pelicle, and lacto looking bubbles sitting on top of the beer.

High krausen having fallen does not necessarily mean that there's no krausen left at all

High krausen having fallen does not necessarily mean that there's no krausen left at all

Ok, whats your point? Are you saying im wrong? The batch is obviously infected. Look and smell he describes are strong indications.

I had a beer that I brewed not too long ago using flaked maize for the steeping grains. It had something very similar on the top. I racked to secondary and then kegged and everyone loves it. Not sure if it was an infection or not.

That is an infection, unlikely to affect the beer though, as it looks like it sitting on top, see how it tastes, bottle accordingly.

Did you smell it or taste it?

Seems like an easy test.

Edit: Jesus Christ... its been a few days.

Does this look like an infection to you?

This was in secondary.

I have bottled it since then. OG 1.45 and FG 1.12.

I have tasted it on bottling day and it was a bit sour, but the kit I purchased says there are citrus and apricot flavours so I suppose that explains it.

I used a dry yeast that took about 36 hours to start making a krausen.

IMG_20141206_134117.jpg

Looks like Starsan foam to me.

Ok that's what I thought too but I wasn't sure. Plus out of thousands of krausen pictures I have seen online, I had never seen such big bubbles.

Perhaps I didn't empty the Star San solution completely before I siphoned into the carboy.

Thanks!

I have been brewing three years, 21 batches, and I just got my first infection....I think. I am making a Chocolate Espresso Imperial Stout. Primary fermentation went smooth, Transferred to secondary onto 16 oz brew coffee and 4 oz of dry cocoa mixed into the coffee. The picture is what I have 5 days into Secondary. Any ideas as to what it is and how to go forward? Thanks in advance.

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg

Back