Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used Star San, but my buddy has an old bottle of it that he used once. He's been brewing for 12 years, and hates the stuff.

looks fine to me too. If it starts looking waxy/spiderwebby/starts growing hair is usually when you are infected. How does it smell/taste?

I can't remember what it smelled like when I took the airlock off, but I don't remember it smelling bad/funky.
OxyClean and StarSan were used, but maybe something got missed.. who knows..
Maybe I'll try to bottle it tomorrow night so it doesn't progress too much further.
Thanks folks!

I've never used Star San, but my buddy has an old bottle of it that he used once. He's been brewing for 12 years, and hates the stuff.

star san has a proven track record not only in brewing but in the food industry in general. i wonder what your friend objects to in star san?

star san has a proven track record not only in brewing but in the food industry in general. i wonder what your friend objects to in star san?

He claims it leaves a bubbly film. When he tried it, he said he eventually rinsed it all off.

He claims it leaves a bubbly film. When he tried it, he said he eventually rinsed it all off.

yeah, it is a foaming sanitzer which is totally fine in the beer. if he's doing fine without it, that is all that matters but he certainly misunderstood star san.

I'm not sure if it's an actual infection, but there isn't a picture like this on here. I got great fermentation for 2-3 days after pitching 2 vials of WLP001, and when I transferred for dry hopping, this grew over the course of 5 days. Infection?

20140804_082725.jpg

20140804_082733.jpg

20140804_220807.jpg

20140805_220752.jpg

20140805_220810.jpg

I'm not sure if it's an actual infection, but there isn't a picture like this on here. I got great fermentation for 2-3 days after pitching 2 vials of WLP001, and when I transferred for dry hopping, this grew over the course of 5 days. Infection?

i don't think that is an infection.

looks like left over turb and yeast rafts to me. Looks fine.

All his bottles seem to have this problem. Unless all those bottles weren't cleaned and sanitized properly, it could be a little higher up in the chain. Rinsing alone is not enough. Some PBW or washing soda using hot water and a bottle brush is cleaning. Then rinse (jet washer) and liberal use of Starsan should get those bottles ready for use. And Starsan right before bottling. Dust getting inside of bottles during storage will taint them again.

So review your bottling process and see where the infection could have crept in.

+1 on the bottle bombs.

I fridged 1 for a week and just drank it. There was nothing on the top, everything had settled to the bottom of the bottle. Carbonation was a little high but close to normal if that makes sense. No gusher or foam over, nice lacing on the glass, and almost clear beer. And it's tastes great! I even had the swmbo try it and she said it tastes good. :rockin:

I have to admit it wasn't the bottle in the pictures. I only had a couple that were that bad. But all of them had some sort of something floating in them when I posted the pictures. And no bottle bombs so far (fingers crossed) :ban:

I fridged 1 for a week and just drank it. There was nothing on the top, everything had settled to the bottom of the bottle. Carbonation was a little high but close to normal if that makes sense. No gusher or foam over, nice lacing on the glass, and almost clear beer. And it's tastes great! I even had the swmbo try it and she said it tastes good. :rockin:

I have to admit it wasn't the bottle in the pictures. I only had a couple that were that bad. But all of them had some sort of something floating in them when I posted the pictures. And no bottle bombs so far (fingers crossed) :ban:

Ah, good to hear at least one of them is fine. The fridge retards growth, so that may have contained the problem. Just beware of the others outside the fridge. Bottle bombs are scary.

I harvest yeast and over time I've found a few mason jars with a bulging lid, some even started to "wrinkle." There can be quite a bit of pressure inside. That tells me that the beer wasn't quite done, even after 4-6 weeks in primary. I keg most of the beer, so a couple more psi won't harm anything. I bottle from keg when I need to.

Racked a Mocktoberfest about a 2 weeks ago. Opened up my pail tonight to bottle and this is what it looked like. Sorry its a crappy pic, but there is a thin film over the top and buildup on the edges. There was nothing in primary. Needless to say I think its time for some new equipment. Going to bottle regardless and hope for the best but im not optimistic about it.

IMG_0495.jpg

Recently transferred a blond on top of 7#s of fresh, frozen, then heated peaches. After 5 days in a white slimy film has started to develop on the top layer. Any worries there and how much longer should I keep before transferring?

Initial taste and smell was a light peach fwiw, but want to rule out uhh infection.

1407976230984.jpg

I've come to this forum for all my questions and recipe help, but never joined til my Belgian Witte looked like this. Hubby thought he was helping by racking to secondary but he may have rdwdahb too many....is this lacto??? Currently kegged and carbing as it still tasted great. Just wondering what we are dealing with! Thanks in advance....brew on!

20140812_134728.jpg

20140812_134727.jpg

20140812_134723.jpg

Racked a Mocktoberfest about a 2 weeks ago. Opened up my pail tonight to bottle and this is what it looked like. Sorry its a crappy pic, but there is a thin film over the top and buildup on the edges. There was nothing in primary. Needless to say I think its time for some new equipment. Going to bottle regardless and hope for the best but im not optimistic about it.
Definitely looks like the start of something, but it doesn't look like lacto to me.
Recently transferred a blond on top of 7#s of fresh, frozen, then heated peaches. After 5 days in a white slimy film has started to develop on the top layer. Any worries there and how much longer should I keep before transferring?
Initial taste and smell was a light peach fwiw, but want to rule out uhh infection.
Fruit always seems to get that on top. That's why I started putting fruit in the blender on the smoothie setting. Then straining that once or twice before adding with my fine mesh strainer.
I've come to this forum for all my questions and recipe help, but never joined til my Belgian Witte looked like this. Hubby thought he was helping by racking to secondary but he may have rdwdahb too many....is this lacto??? Currently kegged and carbing as it still tasted great. Just wondering what we are dealing with! Thanks in advance....brew on!

Looks a lot like krausen to me. The left over bits can look kinda dry like that sometimes.

Hi first post here and wow what a great topic, could almost look like art all those infections...

Not sure if i'm infected. It's a kölsh that I "dry hopped" with roasted gamalost, a norwegian, dry cheese with 50% protein and 1% fat. All equipment has been sterilized and the cheese has been frozen prior to roast. First fermentation went very well, "dry hopped" 5 days, checked on day 2, no problem. This slime has been here 3 days maximum.

I would be pissed (more than if the beer is OK but tastes p*ss) if it's indeed an infection, as it's a test beer for a beer festival. I dare hoping it's the fat that surfaced? Looks like cream forming in a hot cacao drink.

Any input? Thx

EDIT: After reading many pages, looks like Brettanomyces Lambicus?

2014-08-14 20.07.52.jpg

I don't know, but I bottled this small batch (6 bottles) and I can say that this is gonna be a killer beer. I tasted it after filtration. I just hope the infection won't "come back" in the bottles. It's a kölsh that turned totally black because of the cheese, and if has absolutely no hoppy kickstart, however the finish is a punch in the face, it has an obvious gamalost taste if you know what's inside, but if you're in the blue, it tastes like a hoppy porter with roasted coffee and chili notes. I'm giving it 2-3 weeks in bottles.

More info on the potential infection is welcome... thanks.

Keeo an eye on the bottles to see if a pellicle forms. May not be a bad idea to treat them like potential bottle bombs and store them in a box or tupperware somewhere that if there is a containment failure you are at least partially protected from schrapnel. If it starts forming and you decide to open one to try and it is good and carbed right, maybe cautious pasturization is an option?

Looking at it again, I'm trying to decide if it's the fat settling at the top, like when making stock, or a pellicle? Bret maybe?

A friend showed me this. He said that it has been in there for 4 weeks and it will probably be 2 more weeks until he can keg. He tried it a week ago and it tasted fine, but the film has grown since then.

photo.jpg

A friend showed me this. He said that it has been in there for 4 weeks and it will probably be 2 more weeks until he can keg. He tried it a week ago and it tasted fine, but the film has grown since then.

If you have a film them its infected. If it taste fine then drink it fast and make sure to super clean that keg. Looks like you got a brett infection

If you have a film them its infected. If it taste fine then drink it fast and make sure to super clean that keg. Looks like you got a brett infection

I thought it looked a lot like a saison I added Brett to a couple years ago. That beer ended up being infected with acetobacter as well so I was never sure which caused that film. Brett would be good news!

So I got what I believe to be a wild yeast or something that can live (& ruin) a 9% abv beer.

All my fermentors are plastic. Is bleach a viable option? If so how should I go about it?

If not... :\

Looking at it again, I'm trying to decide if it's the fat settling at the top, like when making stock, or a pellicle? Bret maybe?

Strangely, after bottling now I have some foam, krausen type, on top, sinking if slightly shaken, but not the pellicule like on my pic before bottling.

Back