Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like a glass carboy with a huge amount of head space, someone with more experience.... Is that to much head space?

Yes it is a 5 gal glass carboy with a couple gallons of beer in it, The idea was to see if we could detect a difference between beer that was left in the prikmary for three weeks and beer that was put in a secondary after 1 week. we put half the batch in secondary, and it got contaminated.

Yes it is a 5 gal glass carboy with a couple gallons of beer in it, The idea was to see if we could detect a difference between beer that was left in the prikmary for three weeks and beer that was put in a secondary after 1 week. we put half the batch in secondary, and it got contaminated.

I bet you'll be able to taste a difference between the two... Experiment: successful! :D

A secondary should be full to the top if you are going to use one, for reasons you are unfortunately experiencing.

Just wanted to toss my cocoa porter in here and get everyone's opinion. I've never had an infection and I think these are just co2 bubbles but here goes anyway.

ForumRunner_20131230_232842.jpg

ForumRunner_20131230_232904.jpg

I'm somewhat new to homebrewing. Everything was cool untill I racked this saison into secondary, I went to check on it today and found this weird chuck of what may possibly be mold but im not sure. can anyone identify this for me??

IMAG0033.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

Ok , that does make me feel better. It freaked me out a little because it looks like a fungus or mold. whatever it is it seems almost mushroom like with a strange slimy tail on it.

^^^ Looks similar to this?
This was a snpa clone I think, The only time I've seen this was when I used Irish moss in the boil. May not have had anything to do with it but, It was a good beer. Definately nothing wrong with all the clumps that were there. I say nothing to worry about

20131031_215552 (1).jpeg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389493797.462359.jpg
Found this today when we went to rack into the keg. Spent about 6 weeks in primary due to a very busy holiday season and being busy at work. Had some friends over 2 weeks ago and they were interested in the homebrew so I popped this same one open very quickly. No infection at that time and it smelled fantastic. Now we have this and it smells distinctly funky. Kegged it anyways, but very frustrating.

Beginner. my 1st batch (all grain) looks like this after 4 days, 1st day fermented a lot. Starting with the 2nd or 3rd day it looked like this:

Is it spoiled? The taste isn't great, i cannot decide if it is bitter or sour :)

If it isn't spoiled, could the fermentation be already done so soon? I see no activity there. Should I put it in bottles?

Thanks!

CAM00313.jpg

Smell & taste fine.. Racked from underneath and bottled, but wonder if I will have bottle bombs.

I don't think it is, but better safe... ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390162756.273669.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390162777.856575.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390162809.487695.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390162790.935061.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390162790.935061.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 537
Aniketos said:
Beginner. my 1st batch (all grain) looks like this after 4 days, 1st day fermented a lot. Starting with the 2nd or 3rd day it looked like this:

Is it spoiled? The taste isn't great, i cannot decide if it is bitter or sour :)

If it isn't spoiled, could the fermentation be already done so soon? I see no activity there. Should I put it in bottles?

Thanks!

Youre fine. Those are just yeast rafts with se
Hops and trub.

Ianflean said:
Smell & taste fine.. Racked from underneath and bottled, but wonder if I will have bottle bombs.

I don't think it is, but better safe...

You might have bottle bombs that looks like krausen to me. How long did you let it ferment in primary before racking?

This is day 14.

I dry hopped on day 5 with 100g pellets loose. Just a bit surprised it hasn't fallen to the bottom...

Aniketos: Not an infection. Leave the beer in the fermentor for 10 days, then bottle. Yes, the active signs of fermentation often end after only a few days. But leave it in the fermentor for 10 days.

Ianflean: Looks OK to me. Sometimes krausen don't fall. I give it a shake a couple of days before I keg so that the krausen falls.

passedpawn said:
Aniketos: Not an infection. Leave the beer in the fermentor for 10 days, then bottle. Yes, the active signs of fermentation often end after only a few days. But leave it in the fermentor for 10 days.

Ianflean: Looks OK to me. Sometimes krausen don't fall. I give it a shake a couple of days before I keg so that the krausen falls.

What this guy said. I have never seen a krausen like that at 2weeks which is why i asked. 2 weeks should more than likely be enough time to finish most fermentations.

Thanks for the re-assurance. It was stable at 1.009 for 5 days, so am interested as to why the krausen didn't fall.
Could it be to do with dry hopping too early? I threw in 100g Cascade pellets on day 5 when the airlock had slowed right down and it was 1.012.

Thanks again!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390350051.606872.jpg can you please tell me if this is an infection I'm pretty sure it isn't but i want to be certain, its supposed to be a amber ale and its on its 3rd week of fermentation

Belgian all grain, OG 1.092 Wyeast 1388 with starter. 4 week primary, 2 weeks in secondary. There is this persistent ring of foam around the carboy neck. Doesn't smell bad, but usually my other beers are completely clear in secondary.
Is this familiar to anyone? Is it still fermenting due to the high gravity?

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

Belgian all grain, OG 1.092 Wyeast 1388 with starter. 4 week primary, 2 weeks in secondary. There is this persistent ring of foam around the carboy neck. Doesn't smell bad, but usually my other beers are completely clear in secondary.

Is this familiar to anyone? Is it still fermenting due to the high gravity?

Pretty sure it's just co2 bubbles. I had that on my last beer I racked onto raspberries. Not sure of the explanation for it but I'm pretty sure it's normal.

Co2 bubbles for sure.
if that happend on raspberries you racked onto, it would have been from a wee bit of refermentation from the sugars in the raspberries :mug:

My 32nd batch. First time using wlp004. Never seen anything like this after 12 days. It's a Guinness clone. There's what looks like dry yeast floating on top with some kreusen remnants? Or is it infected?

Sample tasted good but not much like Guinness.

1390434889594.jpg

My 32nd batch. First time using wlp004. Never seen anything like this after 12 days. It's a Guinness clone. There's what looks like dry yeast floating on top with some kreusen remnants? Or is it infected?

Looks Ok to me. My current simcoe/columbus IPA looks about the same as this. I think were both fine.

not a good enough picture to be able to tell what is going on as far as a pellicle is concerned.

Latest posts

Back