Post Brew Grain Sourdough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Kimble

Reaction score
Good morning all!
Just got off shift and pulled my first loaf of sourdough I had on a slow rise overnight in the fridge out of the oven. What is special about this one is that I substituted 150g of white wheat flour for 150g of very finely ground grains from my brewday. I was worried about hydration levels and total rise, but it turned out AMAZING. I have posted the recipe below and pictures for anyone who is interested.

Sourdough Ingredients:

(Makes 2 loaves. Halve the amounts for a single loaf)

1. 650g bread flour
  2. 150g finely ground dried grains from brewing
  3. 10g salt
  4. 460g/ml water
  5. 320g sourdough starter
Sourdough Instructions:

1. Mix 800g flour and 10g salt in a mixing bowl. Add 460g/ml water and sourdough starter to the flour. Combine all the ingredients together to form a rough dough.
  2. Turn the dough out on to a clean surface and knead for approximately 10 minutes or until the windowpane effect has been achieved. The dough should be smooth, soft and elastic.
  3. Return the dough to the mixing bowl, cover with cling film and allow the dough to prove for 4 hours at room temperature.
  4. After 4 hours turn the dough onto a clean work surface and knock the dough back.
  5. Form the dough into a tight round ball.

To prove & bake using a proving basket:

1. Prepare a proving basket by lightly dusting with flour. Place the dough, seamed side facing up, into the proving basket. Loosely cover the proving basket with a clean tea towel and leave to prove for another 3 – 3½ hours.
  2. Alternatively, to prove overnight for baking first thing in the morning, place into a fridge and leave overnight.
  3. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a shallow baking tray filled with water into the bottom of the oven to preheat with the oven.
  4. Carefully turn your dough out from the proving basket onto a baking tray dusted with flour and score.
  5. Place the baking tray with the sourdough into the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a good crust has formed and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the base.

Attachments

• IMG_20181022_103823997.jpg
    IMG_20181022_103823997.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 44
Back