Post boil gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limited Visibility

Reaction score
Not sure if this would be the correct area for this. But I recently just made a 2.5 gallon batch of a stout. And I had a pre-boil gravity of 1.050 with 3.5 gallons of water. And by the end of the boil I had my 2.5 gallons, but I forgot to take a gravity reading before I pitched my yeast.

Is there any general sort of estimation of gravity increase from boil off? Would anyone like to take a guess at what my gravity would have been?

Just multiply your measured preboil gravity (in 'points') by the ratio of the volumes. But this assumes all the liquid gets into the fermenter.

So:
50 * 3.5/2.5 = 70. So assuming no losses your gravity should be around 1.070. You will have a very small loss due to wort absorbed by the hops (or any other lost/spilled wort) so it might be tiny bit lower than that but not much. I'd guess you were at 1.068-1.069. Again, assuming all the wort except for those tiny losses mentioned made it into the fermenter.

Back