Possible infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisbrewbeers

Reaction score
If Chico strain took a beer to 1.002 would that be a very good indication of infection. I checked the ph and it was 4.67. There was no slime on top but it reminds me of previous issues where 3 batches all tasted the same due to sanitizing vs boiling wort chiller. It's a citrusy taste that isn't necessarily bad but it isn't right. It overpowers everything. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

If anything that ph is a little high, but that doesnt indicate an infection. And depending on the beer and mash, chico can dry out the beer that far if conditions are right. Though thats not to say it isnt infected. Could be a wild yeast or something else. But there isnt enough info to say. Are these extract beers? All grain? What was the ferementation temp? How long was it in primary? What type of beer was it? Can you describe that citrusy taste more? How does the beer look?

It was all grain mashed at 147 and fermented 65-70 in swamp cooler. Brewed 9-12, took off fast and going strong within 8hours. I gave it 60 sec o2 as well. It's a pale ale
1 oz centennial at 60
3 oz centennial
2.5 oz mosaic
8 oz Amarillo
In hopstand at 160
The Amarillo accidentally got raw coffee beans dumped in it from where I ordered it but I'm not sure that matters and they said it wouldn't hurt.
I have had this taste before and there was a grey scum on the yeast cake but this one was in a speidel so can see it. I'm hoping it's just the hops as far as the citrusy taste.

Yeah thats a ton of citrusy hops (especially if its 5 gallons), and ill assume its a week old. While 1.002 is low, you mashed dry, and chico can be fairly attenuative. Its not outside the realm of possibility. I cant see how the coffee beans would matter. Id wait and see.

At 147 mash temp I could see it finishing up that low. Just out of curiosity, what did you use to measure your FG?

I think that the citrusy taste youre getting is most likely those hops. Amarillo and mosaic are super citrusy

I used a hydrometer to measure. I got it cold and shake carb methoded it which I never do but will see how it works out. I also dryhopped it with 5 oz of same hop blend in fermenter. I used a hop spider bag for the hops that was stained but used starsan so I feel like that was okay because it had been soaked in pbw since last use.

Back