Possible Infection???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zimkid11

Reaction score
Newer brewer here. Started 2 new batches over the memorial day weekend, my 2nd and 3rd brews. Both are partial mash kits that I decided to play with a little bit.

I went to check SG in priamry today and am concerned i might have an infection in the honey IPA. Wort/mash fermentaes profile below.

1# crystal 40l
6# Pilsen LDME
1# brewers crystals
----end kit grain bill-----
#6lb honey in final 15 min of boil
1 whirlfloc in final 15 min of boil

I initially pitched the single pack of US-05 on sunday. Fermentation was slow to start. After adding recipe to
brew smith and looking at yeast profiles I was concerned that the sinlgle pack of US-05 would not attenuate enough of the fermantables. Went back to the store and decided that i needed a high alcohol tolerant strain and pitched a vial of WLP715 Champagne Yeast and fermentation took off. when checking the SG today i noticed clumping at the top of what remained of the krausen and a lot of residual cloudiness. Ferm temp has been at about 75. is this a problem? Suggestions?

OG: 1.102 adjusted to 60
Current SG: 1.040 at 73.5

Also, due to high honey content wouls this technically be a an IPA or an IPA style braggot?

thanks! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401414618.420157.jpg

I couldn't tell ya if it was an IPA style as I don't see any hops listed. I did a braggot a while back with a similar grain bill. I would be prepared for an apple taste with the higher fermentation temp. You are pushing the limits with the US-05 and WLP705.

One think I notice which may need some confirmation from others is I don't really see any actual grain added to the grain bill, or at least base grain. I'm pretty sure LME doesn't provide much of the nutrients that most yeasts would require to provide a good active fermentation. That and the honey surely doesn't. So the US-05 not really giving you much action may have been a result of that.

Did you add any yeast nutrient?

Aside from that it looks like some simple yeast rafts floating on the surface of the beer to me, or just residuals of the krausen. Doesn't look like an infection.

I didn't post the hops since I was on my phone at the time and didn't remember the entire recipe. These are the hop additions. 5 oz of an equal mix of Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus, Nugget. 1OZ of mix for bittering at beginning of boil, 2OZ flavor for last 15 min of boil, 1OZ armoa during 10 min rest, and then the final OZ will be dry hopped in secondary.

The 1# of Crystal 40L was steeped grains. Started at room temp and brought up to 165 over the course of 45 min. Steeped for 10 min at 165.

I did not add yeast nutrient.

When I tasted the SG sample today it still had a very strong honey taste, but it was definitely beer.

fwiw, he asked about your complete grain bill, but I suspect what was listed is pretty complete.
And there are plenty of fermentables therein.

Not sure about the infection thing. I'm inclined to say "no"...

Cheers!

All fermentables in the brew were listed in the original post. The kit only had the 1# of Crystal 40L. The rest was LME or adjunct sugar. Then I added the honey.

Latest posts

Back