Possible contamination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkey50187

Reaction score
I may have contaminated my batch. I was preparing my yeast to pitch by sprinkling it over 70 degree water. I let it sit and came back to find an edge of a towel in it. I had some choice words.

My batche called for Nottingham ale yeast. I have a package of safale us05. Should I pitch with the potentially contaminated yeast or pitch the safale. I think I am going to pitch the safale and buy a new packet of yeast for my other kit.

This is a brown ale kit. I didn't know if it would make a significant difference.

This was also my first batch and of course I could have had some nervous gremlins running around the kitchen.

BrewerBear said:
Pitch the yeast and don't worry, propably did not hurt a thing. I bled into a batch last summer and it turn out great.

Please tell me you didn't make any of your friends drink it. Blood beer? Yum...

You can't hurt notty. Notty is a strain of yeast that is derived from chuck norris's beard

If it was a dirty dish towel I would probably think about pitching something else. If its a paper towel or something semi-clean I wouldn't worry about it.

Latest posts

Back