Possibility to reuse yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMCYoder

Reaction score
So I been reading the forums about washing and reusing yeast and what not. Sounds interesting and it would definitely help lower the costs per batch of my beer. I think I am just a little afraid to reuse it and then ruin my batch. Here is what I am faced with...

Just brewed a Chocolate Milk Stout with Wyeast 1056. Was planning on putting it in secondary on Wednesday. Saturday (3 days later) I am brewing a holiday porter w/ maple syrup in which I was planning on using Wyeast 1056 yeast again. So I thought, what if I washed and repitched my yeast?

I guess my big questions are, is this too soon of a time between batches to repitch, or is the quick transition better for the yeast? Also, how long should I wait to see activity before I start to worry/repitch a new yeast?

Guess I am looking for thoughts and/or experiences...

I have washed yeast a few times and they work just like the new stuff. I think 3 days should be enough time if your going to decant. I have not had an infection in my washed yeast yet.

Two options:
1) Wash Wednesday, make a starter Friday, pitch into new batch Saturday or
2)Transfer to secondary Saturday and pitch your porter right on top of the Stout yeast cake*

*This method is advisable only if your sanitation practices are rock solid and you are not afraid of overpitching.

Also if you dont have time for the starter ( not sure what process your using to wash you yeast) You could just add extra yeast instead of one through in 2 or 3 to get the count up.

Two options:
1) Wash Wednesday, make a starter Friday, pitch into new batch Saturday or
2)Transfer to secondary Saturday and pitch your porter right on top of the Stout yeast cake*

*This method is advisable only if your sanitation practices are rock solid and you are not afraid of overpitching.

I thought about method 2, but I wasn't sure if the yeast from the Chocolate Milk Stout would give anything off in the Holiday Maple Porter. Also, I think my sanitation practices are good. I sanitize everything before using them, and haven't had any problems with sanitation yet, but I also have only done 3 beers so far.

Also if you dont have time for the starter ( not sure what process your using to wash you yeast) You could just add extra yeast instead of one through in 2 or 3 to get the count up.

Not quite sure what you mean about adding extra yeast, but I was thinking that if I actually washed this yeast (Going to use the method from the sticky/wiki) I could then pitch 1 pack of Wyeast just in case (Usually I pitch 2).

I've been reading bad things about pitching on a yeast cake when the new batch doesnt call for such high quantities of yeast. Over pitching is not necessarily a good thing.

On the other hand many people here have recorded successes with this method, and who am I to argue?

INot quite sure what you mean about adding extra yeast.

I use mason jars. I wash out 4 quarts of yeast from a 5 gallon batch. (the quarts are not full of yeast) 1 mason jar of yeast goes into my starter for my next brew the others stay in the fridge. I have however instead of a starter thrown in 2 jars of yeast to get my count up it worked. Not recomended but it did work fine.

edit: 4 pints not quarts

Back