porter w/ OG: 1.063, FG:1.020. would you try to get the FG down more?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelemite

Reaction score
this was our second batch. didn't use a starter for liquid yeast, and fermentation was slow, but it did happen. everything has been in the primary for 2 weeks. the fermenter smells great, but on the sweet side. do you think it's worth kicking up the yeast again to get the FG down a few more points?

i'm just probing for opinions on this. i'm not overly concerned because it did ferment.

Lots of people brewing porters and stouts (and other higher OG beers) seem to have this problem. If you give your beer a very slight swirl to suspend some more yeast, you might get the FG down another .002 or .004 within about a week, but for the most part, the yeast have declared themselves off duty, so that's about all you are going to get.

Besides the slight bit of alcohol content, the only other thing that getting the FG down a bit more is making the body of the beer a bit dryer.

So make the decision yourself, but your beer is going to come out jsut fine either way.

thanks, guys! this is an amazing forum.

i'm going to leave it as is. like i said, it smells delicious. i thought it might have a little more alcohol, but i think that was more my green expectation.

i don't have the recipe in front of me. it's written on one of the blank pages at the back of charlie papazian's book, which is home.

Latest posts

Back