Porter recipe formulation suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madj42

Reaction score
Coffee Porter

OG: 1.058
IBU: 32.7

Mashing temp: 152F (Single infusion, batch sparge)

8lbs 4.4oz Pale 2-Row (71.8%)
1lbs Caramel/Crystal 20L (8.7%)
16oz Black (Patent) malt (8.7%)
8oz Munich Malt 10L (4.3%)
8oz Chocolate malt (4.3%)
4oz Simpsons Coffee (Brown) malt (2.2%)

1oz Challenger Hops (60min)
1oz Fuggles (15min)

16oz Cold steeped coffee at kegging time

This is my first AG batch that I've formulated. I plan on brewing this after a couple of kit batches to get the process down. Since I'm new to AG and recipe formulation, any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Cut the black patent at least in half, I would only use about 4 ounces

this recipe is very close to the best porter I ever made, the combination of chocolate, black and coffee malt is truly outstanding.

cold steep some of the dark grains, much smoother flavor, less tannin bitter. Use about double the dark grains to achieve the same SRM darkness color as fully mashing them

Cut the black patent at least in half, I would only use about 4 ounces

this recipe is very close to the best porter I ever made, the combination of chocolate, black and coffee malt is truly outstanding.

Should I up one of the other grains in it's absence? I was almost thinking of upping the coffee to 8oz since it's such a minute quantity. I tried the mixture of grains at the store and it didn't taste too bad.

Never knew I could cold steep grains. I guess I'll have to try that the 2nd time around with this recipe.

I would up the coffee malt to 8 oz. Cold steeping works for dark grains just like coffee, you get less astringency. Another method is to add them to the mash late, say about 30 minutes rather than the full 60

Back