Porter Partial Mash Recipe Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dopple

Reaction score
First go at making a porter, so I I took some cues from some other recipes and tried to work inside the style trends I saw. This is my first shot at designing a beer so any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I also ran what numbers I could by hand for practice and used hopville the rest of the way for help. Here's the recipe for what I'm dubbing 'Blackwater Porter,' a big bodied fall brew.

Partial-Mash BIAB
OG: 1.064
FG: 1.016
SRM: 43
IBU: 31.6
ABV: 6.4%
Boil: 60 mins
Mash: 60 mins
5 gal batch

4lbs 8oz 2-row pale malt
1lbs 4oz Chocolate Malt
1lbs Munich Malt
10oz Carapils
6oz Crystal 120
4oz Black Patent
8oz Dextrose
3lbs Light DME

Mash at 156 for 60 mins

.3oz Horizon @ 60 mins
.5oz EKG @ 30 mins
.5oz Willamette @ 30 mins
.5oz EKG @ 5 mins
.5oz Willamette @ 5 mins

Nottingham Ale Yeast

Any thoughts?

Looks pretty damn good to me! I like the munich in there...
Just curious, why carapils and dextrose? It's like you're trying to add body, then trying to take it away. I guess I just haven't seen dextrose in a lot of porters, but then again I haven't brewed one myself that's why I was curious!

Honestly I added the dextrose because someone on here recommended adding it for extract and partial mash recipes. Something about efficiency and conversion rates. I was thinking about nixing it from the recipe, though, just because the extra ABV won't do much for me in the long run, anyways.

My LHBS didn't have the hops I needed, so I winged it, adjusting the hop bill to Warrior, EKG, and Fuggle.

Back