Porter Fermenting really slow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obi_krash

Reaction score
First post outside the introduction area, so bear with me.

almost 3 weeks ago (18 days ago to be exact) I brewed up a simple porter recipe that I built with my LBHS. It was nothing fancy - I will post the bill when I get home later. I don't have it with me here at work.

I had great activity for the first maybe 3 days and then it calmed down. So after a week and a half I transferred to secondary as planned.

This particular brew I changed things up a bit. When I transferred to the secondary, I had Pecan wood chips that have been soaked in rum for 9 months on the bottom. I had thought this might kick off fermentation again (the sugars in the rum) but it really didn't really pop off like I thought.

I keep getting some activity, but its just steady fermentation bubbles. Nothing crazy, just a slight "foam" over the top that is patchy from the fermentation. I was planning on bottling after 3 weeks, but with the steady fermentation should I just let it keep going till I see it has stopped?

Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
What was the the OG of the beer and the yeast pitched? What were the last two SG readings for FG?
Are you using a hydrometer for FG?

What was the the OG of the beer and the yeast pitched? What were the last two SG readings for FG?
Are you using a hydrometer for FG?

My OG was 1.050
Day of transfer - 1.030
Next day - 1.028

I was going to check again today. Going to show my noob-ism here. This is the first brew that I am taking gravity. My first batch I had my mentor show me and then I just ran with it every other time.

I know, I know, bad on me. I am learning here . . .

Racking to a secondary usually isn't done until fermentation is complete. Racking to early can stall the fermentation. Some brewers rack if they know the SG will drop the final one or two points, from experience, while in the beer is in the secondary. Adding wood chips or fruit is a valid reason to use a secondary vessel, even though secondary fermentor is a misnomer.

Your SG is rather high for a finished fermentation, unless these numbers were taken with a refractometer, and are not corrected. The high SG could be from your grain bill and a less attenuating yeast.

Racking to a secondary usually isn't done until fermentation is complete. Racking to early can stall the fermentation. Some brewers rack if they know the SG will drop the final one or two points, from experience, while in the beer is in the secondary. Adding wood chips or fruit is a valid reason to use a secondary vessel, even though secondary fermentor is a misnomer.

Your SG is rather high for a finished fermentation, unless these numbers were taken with a refractometer, and are not corrected. The high SG could be from your grain bill and a less attenuating yeast.

I thought it seemed pretty high. Usually I dont move to a secondary. I do my whole brew in one fermenator. But I tried branching out and trying new things this time.

I took the numbers using a hydrometer that came with a kit a while back. I will check it again tonight and see what has happened, if anything.

If there's still activity, let it go longer. Once the bubbles stop and the gravity readings are constant for a few days in a row, then bottle or keg it.

Until then, get another batch going!

Dude don't worry this forum is here to help! First off, ALWAYS TAKE GRAVITY READINGS! they are the only way you know where your beer is at fermentation-wise and will help you prevent early transfers like this or, even worse, bottle bombs which are dangerous and, I imagine, one hell of a time to clean up.
In the future you should always wait until fermentation is done before racking to secondary, if it is still stalled when you check it today, you can pitch some new yeast and it should kick right back up again!

If there's still activity, let it go longer. Once the bubbles stop and the gravity readings are constant for a few days in a row, then bottle or keg it.

Until then, get another batch going!

Sounds good to me, I will let it keep hanging out.

I have to start on an IPA I usually make. I am planning on swapping out the centennial with ammarilo maybe, and dumping some strawberries in.

Guess I should start before I run out of strawberry season.

So I did not get a chance to check my gravity last night, little man needed more attention than my beer.

But this morning I woke up to a crazy amount of activity. I am going to see how it's going when I get home and try to take the gravity then. I think it's time I invest in a thief - using my auto siphon gets messy.

So I did not get a chance to check my gravity last night, little man needed more attention than my beer.

But this morning I woke up to a crazy amount of activity. I am going to see how it's going when I get home and try to take the gravity then. I think it's time I invest in a thief - using my auto siphon gets messy.

If it is fermenting, you don't need a SG reading. Wait two weeks to take the first SG reading. Take another three days later for comparison.

If it is fermenting, you don't need a SG reading. Wait two weeks to take the first SG reading. Take another three days later for comparison.

ah! I think I showed a bit more of my noobish-ness there.

Thank you for that. I will remember that moving forward.

Also - appreciate you all being patient with me as I figure this out.

So I was planning on bottling this past Monday, but I still had some activity going on in the carboy. Woke up tuesday to the all the krausen gone (well, like 95% of it) but the airlock bubbling like crazy. Same thing yesterday and still this morning.

Small bubbles are coming up as well, enough actually that there is a swirl going on the top. Assuming it is safe to that as long as my airlock is active and I see activity in the carboy that I should just leave it alone?

See, this is what I get. I knew I should have not listened to the recipe and kept it in the primary longer.

A few quick tips you should know before venturing into secondary fermentations...

1. Always wait a MINIMUM of 2 weeks for primary fermentation to complete. During that time, yeast will go through reproductive phases, consumption phases, and perhaps most importantly, CLEANUP phases. Take gravity readings with a graduated cylinder and hydrometer using a turkey baster or beer/wine theif. DO NOT use a Refractometer...the alcohol present in the beer/wine will disrupt the reading, causing innaccuracy.

2. When transferring to secondary fermentation, the process will sometimes kick-start more fermentation. If you're not looking to referment, I recommend cold-crashing your primary before you transfer your beer from primary into secondary. Just get that sucker to drop down to near-freezing temp (33-34 degrees Fahrenheit), and then let it sit at that temp for a day or two, then proceed with the transfer.

Hope some of that helps!! :)

Back