Port Style Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDWebb

Reaction score
So it’s well known in my family that I love a good port wine, a nice cigar and a bite of a good cheddar. I always keep a few bottles of port around, a few of my favorites include Taylor Fladgate’s 20 year tawny, Quinta Das Carvalhas 20 year tawny and Graham’s 10 year. Ports are generally sweet, high alcohol yet have an amazing finish if you sit and think about it while you’re sipping. This prompted me to attempt making a port style mead a few months ago. As I sit here writing this, I have one aging on some cognac-soaked French oak. Boasting almost 20% ABV, it is sweet, flavorful and alluring. Cherry is prominent in this port, with hints of dark fruits, blackberry, black currant, the cognac gives it a nice balance and the finish is where the oak comes into play as you swallow.

I have been pondering another port mead and finally collected all the ingredients. Keep in mind that these two projects are quite expensive if you have to buy the 15 pounds of honey. Because of this, I take extra care while working on them as it can be quite intense. Besides the expense, you’re working with a very high gravity recipe. The objective here is to coax the yeast to produce alcohol somewhere near the 20% range without it turning to rocket fuel. This means fermenting at a cooler temperature than you would wine, my Blackberry Cherry project was fermented at 68º F and it was a slow process so lots of patience is needed as well.

My next project is centered around plum and black currants with a hint of sweet cherry. I will be using a blend of Sirah, Red Zinfandel and Cabernet grape juice, dried cherries and bananas during fermentation, and will rest it on dark sweet cherries for a month before adding brandy and French oak for a tawny-like flavor. Here’s the recipe:

1 can ea Alexander’s Cab, Red Zin & Sirah
15 lbs total honey (*9 lbs Dutch Gold Avacado/Wildflower honey up front)
1/2 can ea Vintners Plum & Black Currant puree
1 1/2 lbs very ripe bananas thick sliced skin on and 8 oz dried cherries simmered gently for 5 min
Water to a SG of 1.160+ (*honey addition needs to be controlled at this point)
Wyeast 4946 high gravity yeast

Now, at this point you may have to adjust the starting temps a bit. Keep it warm until you get a good, healthy and vigorous fermentation going, then start lowering the temp.

At 1.080 – 60 – 3 more lbs of honey, remove bananas and cherries stir in slowly (bananas may sink to the bottom, this is OK) A little oxygen is OK here also, but not too much.
At 1.040-20 – another 3 lbs of honey – looking to push the ABV to about 20%

Secondary with 1/2 can ea of Plum & Black Currant puree
2 lbs mixed cherries for at least a month to 6 weeks.

Tertiary with 4 oz brandy soaked oak, 750 ml of good brandy after racking off the cherries. Give it 4 to 5 weeks, it you want more oak, add it 1 oz at a time, wait a few weeks and taste it. Once you add it, you can’t take it out.

Patience, lots of patience and attention is needed for this project. Daily monitoring, gravity readings is necessary to ensure a good ferment. Remember, you’re trying to push the yeast beyond it’s rated ABV, somewhere around 20%. A good head of steam is needed to accomplish this so think of the yeast as your children, give them the same attention, love and care.

That sounds really interesting. Have you thought about trying something like this as a bochet? I would think caramelizing the sugars in the honey would help lend those darker, sherry-like notes you enjoy.

That's an idea, I'll give it some serious thought, I'll be proceeding with this project in a few days as soon as I get a fermenter freed up!

I have thought endlessly about making a port mead, but I have never tried it. I have about 40# of very awesome honey on hand and I really wanted to give that project a try

How does the 4946 compare to Lalvin EC 1118, which has a tolerance to about 18 percent?

How does the 4946 compare to Lalvin EC 1118, which has a tolerance to about 18 percent?
I never used 1118, however, I know according to Lallemand it is more of a white wine yeast. Wyeast 4946 is more of a red wine yeast, hence my choice. Seemed logical at the time.

If you intend to do this project, keep in mind it's pretty intense and requires constant monitoring. With the Blackberry/Cherry port mead, just getting the yeast off the ground was a 2 day effort adjusting temps to get it going. Now, once it started, it chugged along like freight train. PM me if you like, I'll give you my number so we can chat if your interested.

I have thought endlessly about making a port mead, but I have never tried it. I have about 40# of very awesome honey on hand and I really wanted to give that project a try
It's an intense undertaking mostly because of the expense. If you already have the honey, not so much. You'll invest at least $150 or so in the cans of juice and puree. I can say this, the one I have aging right now tastes amazing. It sort of mimics a port, has a nice round flavor, good finish, and if you spend quality time sipping it, you can pick out the different fruits and a smidgeon of the wine. I'll be starting the Black Currant/Plum project later this week. PM me, I'll give you my number and you can call with questions if you like.

Looks tasty. Why don’t you make a very large starter? I find starters tend to make pushing the ABV tolerance very easy while avoiding long lag times. You definitely want to keep the temperature controlled; starters tend to make it take off like a rocket!

Thanks for posting! I never thought about making port at home, but now I'm going to try it! Tonight I picked up some 4 year old oak aged brandy and made my own "counter top port":

1 oz oak aged brandy
1.5 oz sweet (commercial) Dornfelder wine
3 oz home made dry red wine.

For something thrown together, it wasn't bad. I'm going to tweak the ingredients a little and age it in a quart jar with oak chips.

This fall, when I make red wine, I'm going to stop the fermentation with brandy and do the same with a full strength mead (but use vodka infused with blackberries as the spirit infusion)

Looks tasty. Why don’t you make a very large starter? I find starters tend to make pushing the ABV tolerance very easy while avoiding long lag times. You definitely want to keep the temperature controlled; starters tend to make it take off like a rocket!
I may do that with this batch.

Latest posts

Back