Poop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoPhunk

Reaction score
So I have options of goat, pig, bird or horse poop to fertilize my hops this year. This will also be the first year I am attempting any kind of garden growing. Is it possible to over-poo a garden? Should I mix up all different kinds of poo and call it a day or is there one that works better?

As always thanks in advance.

Reza

I've never heard of bird poop for fertilizer :drunk: Not much of a gardner either. You definitely can over poop though. It will chemically burn the plants.

Unless you live out in the middle of no-where, I think you would want to consider using composted manure, rather than straight from the critter manure.

I've never heard of bird poop for fertilizer :drunk: Not much of a gardner either. You definitely can over poop though. It will chemically burn the plants.

Chicken poop is actually very good for plants.

Unless you live out in the middle of no-where, I think you would want to consider using composted manure, rather than straight from the critter manure.

^ this. Never, NEVER, apply non-composted manure to a plant. It WILL burn the plant. Not in a chemical, like too much nitrogen, sense either. It will literally get so hot amidst decomposition that it will cook the plant material.

So, by all means stock up on that ****, just have a place to let it sit for 6 months before you go monkey on the garden.

You need to let the manure rest for a couple months before you apply it other wise it will burn very badly. And you may not want to use the horse manure because you will get weeds coming up everywhere.. I would probably just use the chicken manure myself

Ok I think I will go with a mix of bird, bunny and Goat poo and mix it throughly with dirt in my compost heap before applying to my hops. Thanks for all the answers.

depending on what the horses are fed- you can get lots of weed seeds from uncomposted horse manure.
Fresh manure is hot, and should be composted. 6 months seems like a conservatively long time- but I'm down south and things compost pretty fast...

Forget pig poop. That sht is Nasty!!
This is because pigs eat most anything. One should avoid using the feces of an animal that has been eating non-vegetable matter (aka meat, fat, lard, drippings, eggs, etc). This type of manure can be used once properly conditioned but it is inviting disaster. Stick with the excrement from grain eating animals only for the least worries.

Back