Pony keg 7.75 gal keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottkist

Reaction score
Hello. I have searched this forum and have not found many who have made a pony keg brew kettle. I have a 7.75 gal keg I would like to use as a brew kettle and wanted to see if anyone had a picture of theirs so I can get an idea how to build it and where to put the valves etc. I am planning on brewing 3 gallon full grain batches so it should be plenty big enough for my needs. The keg I have is the same diameter of a normal keg just shorter. There is a ridge toward the bottom that I am wondering if I have to drill my hole above or below and if that would be a problem if the valve had to be a little higher to avoid that bump. I wanted to put in weldless valves. And maybe a sight glass but I am not sure if they make one that small. Just wanted to get your suggestions and see others 1/4 size keggle if you have one :)

IMG_6793.jpg

I don't know if I would bother. I mean I liked making my keggles but it's some work and for 3 gal batches you could prob do with a pot you have at home or get one from the store for much cheaper than it will take to build that keggle... and I mean MUCH cheaper.

Use that one for fermentation!

Last edited:
If the pony keg could handle 5 gal batches I would try it. I have heard you might run the risk of boil overs. 5 gal is the most I want to do because I just want to brew a bunch of different beers and 5 gallons takes a while For me to drink on my own. I give a lot of it away to friends and family. Right now I only have a 5 gallon aluminum pot and I could not do full grain with that pot. I have thought about using the keg as a fermenter and I probably will try it for that a few times to see how I like it but still would be interested in making a keggle. I have my mashtun about ready to go just need a BK

Well I found a full size keg so I will turn that into my BK instead. For the pony keg as a fermenter could I still add a ball valve so I don't have to rack it?or would you recommend getting one of the fermenter conversion kits?

I assume since you got a full size keg now, you’ll up your batch size?

You could turn that pony into a mash tun. Or a fermenter.
I myself would not use weldless fittings for a fermenter. You could have it welded or do the fermenter kit as you mentioned. Then you could do pressurized fermentation if you wanted to go whole hog.

Yeah I will do atleast 5 gal batches or 10 if a friend wants to go in with me. I eventually want to have a 3 keg setup. For now I will use my Gatorade mash tun. And maybe use that pony for a fermenter. My next project will be to find a corny keg to fix up:)

Back