Pomagranite Wine????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maximellian

Reaction score
I was curious if anyone has tried making wine from pomagranites? I would love to try and was hoping someone can point me in the right direction for a top or bottom yeast good for wine brewing?? Any and all suggestions will be appreciated and I am very excited to start up my own yeast collection in the freezer!!!

Thanks!

Maximellian said:
I was curious if anyone has tried making wine from pomagranites? I would love to try and was hoping someone can point me in the right direction for a top or bottom yeast good for wine brewing?? Any and all suggestions will be appreciated and I am very excited to start up my own yeast collection in the freezer!!!

Thanks!

I bought a bottle at the store. It was horrible. Neither me nor the Mrs. could palate it. Incredibly bitter and blech.

Two years ago, I read an article in a major paper (I think it was the WSJ) which said to expect a LOT more pomegranate juices and products. Apparently, some large corporation bought some ridiculously huge percentage of the world's pomegranate crop and hired a huge ad agency to promote all the health benefits and tasty goodness of pomegranates.

One day, I was at my mom's house and she'd bought a promegranate juice so I decided to try it. It was TERRIBLE!!! I couldn't understand why ANYBODY would drink that crap.

But then again, it's also used to make grenadine syrup, which can be quite tasty in some concoctions.

That's all I know about pomegranates though. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance with regard to the wine-making endeavor.

I suppose the first thing to do is to get some juice and figure out what kind of O.G. you're looking at in the juice.

I like pomegranates and that POM juice. That juice, though, clears your colon fast.

I've thought about substituting some for sour cherries in a lambic. But I haven't decided yet.

Other than balancing the flavor, I suspect the biggest issues for wine making will be getting the juice off the seeds and keeping the seeds out of the fermenter.

I've started a couple Pomegranate wines using store bought juice, no preservatives, etc. and they're looking pretty good. The Blueberry/Pomegranate blend is pretty tasty at about 2 weeks. I found a pomegranate simple syrup somewhere, and i plan to back-sweeten with it if they ferment out too dry. Essentially, I like pomegranate but don't want to have to deal with the actual fruit if i don't have to :)

I sampled our Pomegranate wine today and it is ready to bottle. This stuff is nectar of the gods and maybe close to "as good as sex!" I think it may be the best wine that I have made thus far in my limited wine making hobby. It is just as good or better than my wild plum wine.

I will have to see if I can find what my OG was. I don't keep good records of my recipes like I should. I was so excited by today's tasting that I forgot to write down the current SG.

Two years ago, I found pomegranates at Wal-mart for $.25 ea. What a bargain! I must have purchased at least $20-30 worth and we started a marathon of peeling and separating the membranes. The seeds were run through my rotary hand-crank juice extractor to separate all of the seeds from the juice. I followed my usual basic recipe and I would have used my normal, average yeast for a fruit wine. We prefer a sweet wine recipe and it worked great for this fruit. It has been racked at least twice since the primary fermenter and has had right at 2 years in the glass carboys. We have right at 4 gals of this mix but I sure wish I had more:(

My advice would be to try this fruit for a wine recipe. Make it sweet as pomegranates are usually on the tart side. It was very good last year but it has since mellowed to a very silky smooth character with a super strong kick in the pants.

Where can we find a good source of these things at a reasonable price?

I did some research and some varieties that grow in Texas are supposed to reach 13" diameter average!! That about the size of a basketball!! How much juice would that yeild?

Ignore the ignorace of the blissful. Try making this wine with a sweet fruit wine recipe, use plenty of juice for a bold flavor and be patient. It is surely worth the wait. :rockin:

Latest posts

Back