Polypin Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikemead

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a while now and have only bottled my beer. But for my birthday I was given some cash for my brewing :) so along with a mash tun and a load of malted grain I got a Polypin with soda co2.
What I'm thinking is, if I primed my polypin "left it for a couple of weeks to carb up "could I then fill bottles from it without adding extra priming. If bottles become free or I need to use the Polypin for another brew ?

Any thought would be great!

as long as you minimize oxygen exposure (EG, tube from the nozzle to the bottom of the bottle), there is no reason why that wouldn't work... However, polypins can only take a certain amount of priming before they burst, and that wouldn't be very much fizz from a bottle of beer (polypins can only take 1-1.2vols before it gets scary)

It's 1 of the ridged ones with a bulb co2 valve does that make a difference ?

Do you mean a hard plastic pressure barrel, rather than a flexible plastic polypin? Polypins are flexible plastic bags, often in a cardboard box, like this

polypin_1_1.jpg

This is a pressure barrel:

pressure-barrel.jpg

In either case, what Rivenin said applies. It might work, particularly if you chill the beer before bottling (to keep the carbonation in), but you'll be undercarbed compared to typical bottles, even for English styles.

but you'll be undercarbed compared to typical bottles, even for English styles.

I would agree. I do have one of the rigid pressure barrels and only use it on a style were taking the hit on carbonation is acceptable. The co2 cartridge won't really help this much, the big advantage of the co2 in these barrels is it allows you to keep a positive pressure above the beer. Without it, pouring off more than a pint or two a day results in a loss of pressure in the barrel and the tap slowing to a very, very slow rate - almost stopping sometimes.

The other issue is that these pour very foamy with what little carbonation they can achieve. This is not a problem for a single pint, you just keep the tap on low and it almost gives an effect like a beer engine - great for English styles. But for trying to fill a number of bottles - you would need the patience of a saint!

Cheers if I need to bottle then I will add extra primer
A pressure barrel then and being from the UK, an English ale is what I tend to like/try to make. :)
I remember when I started brewing, asking people about carboys and getting very funny looks as we call them demijohns,at the time I was only after 1 uk gallon 1 for mead now have 3x5 gallon and 6x1 gallons and no space :)

Back