Poly(plastic) or Glass Carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getnit

Reaction score
Is it a preference or is there an advantage or disadvantage to one or the other?

I'm assuming you're askig about good ol' PETE, aka Better Bottles?

The advantage is quite simple, a cracked Better Bottle won't rip through your veins, harm your kids or pets.

I'm a Better Bottle fanboy, I've got a glass carboy, plastic bucket fermenter and myriad of Better Bottles. I certainly use the carboy and the bucket, but I strongly prefer the BB's, and theyr'e what gets added to my equipment list, not glass.

+1 better bottles. I have never used glass, but I have heard stories. And better bottles are lighter also.

It's posted all over the place, but just in case....

If you get glass, save your appendages from trauma, and get a Milk Crate of some kind to keep the carboy in.

Think of it as anti-Emergency-Room insurance.

I bought my first Better Bottle last week due to all the great reviews I've read on here. The LHBS seems to be partial to glass, but I want to see if the BBs can live up to all the hype.

For everyone that uses BBs - do you use a rubber stopper with a 3 piece airlock, or do you prefer the BB brand "DryTrap" airlock? Apparently it eliminates the need to keep topping off the liquid in the airlock, and there's no possibility of sucking the liquid back into the BB. Just curious... thanks!

:mug:

Back