POLL: How many vessels do you use in All-Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many vessels do you use in All-Grain

• I use one vessel. It is not a variant.

• I use two vessels.

• I use three vessels.

• I use four or more vessels.

Results are only viewable after voting.

DromJohn

5 Gallon Partial-Something Brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a partial-something brewer.
But in today's new article "Simple Homebrewing Techniques" the first reply was:
"Anyone actually have numbers on here about how many brewers use a BIAB vs. multi-vessel setups?"
So let's get some actual numbers.

AG, 3 vessles: 7.5 gallon Kettle (KLT), 10 gallon Kettle (Boil Kettle), and 10 gallon Mash tun

I have a cooler MLT and a 8 gallon brewpot. I heat strike water, dump it in the MLT, heat sparge water in same kettle, dump it in at the end of mash and run off the whole volume into the kettle for the boil. I get 75-80% mash efficiency.

I do 3 vessel BIAB, basically an HLT, an MLT with no screen or false bottom (where I mash in the bag), and a boil kettle. I use a colander for "lautering" and sparging the bag. My bag is too small for my kettle, but I can still begin heating while I sparge.

This is what I use:
1. 15 gallon HLT (which started life as a BK)
2. 20.5 gallon SS MLT wrapped in insulation
3. RIMS Tube
4. 10 gallon grant (which was originally for BIAB but then became a traditional BK and then a HLT)
5. 25 gallon BK
(my original cooler MLT has been put back into service as a portable keg cooler)

I have a bastardised BIAB system that has the main kettle as well as a HLT for sparge and infusion water.

I wish I just had one kettle that was big enough.

Two:
Brew Kettle
MLT cooler
Lautering grant ( but I'm told grants don't count)

edit: unless of course it's a government grant.

I have started to brew a variant of no-sparge where I mash at a typical thickness (in a cooler), then top-up/mashout to full volume before running off to the boil kettle. I either use the boil kettle as my hot liquor tank, or heat water on my electric range in a couple 3 gallon pots to save propane. One of the 3 gallon kettles is also used to transfer wort from mash tun to boil kettle in manageable volumes. So I really either operate HLT+MLT+BK, or just MLT+BK. Been heating all my strike and infusions on the stove top recently, so I'll pick 3 on the poll.

1.5 : BIAB main kettle, but I use a second smaller kettle with a strainer in the bottom to rest the bag and let it gravity-drain while the main kettle gets to boiling temperature.

I have a three vessel (2 keggles, 1 10gal Rubbermaid HLT) single tier system. My first AG system was a gravity fed 2 vessel system (1 cooler, 1 boil pot)

3 keggle here. HLT, MT, BK

Then 2 buckets, 2 carboys, 2 bottling buckets, an Erlenmeyer flask, and various mason jars for yeast harvesting or other tasks.

Assuming we're counting hot side only, then it's still a "depends". For your average 5 gallon single infusion mash, I use 3 vessels (HLT, MLT, BK). If I'm doing larger batches, or more complicated mashes (decoctions, turbid, etc), or doing a special boil thing (such as kettle caramelizing first runnings, or doing a partigyle), then it can go upwards from there. Rarely do I exceed 4 vessel (HLT, MLT, main BK, and secondary kettle of various sizes depending on application).

If we're counting fermenters and/or total vessels, I'm at ~30.

3: HLT, MLT, and a BK that also serves as a CLT. What's important here, is that I only have to wash 2 vessels. The HLT just get's dried off and put away. It was a leftover from extract brewing, so it was "free" too. (Using that logic, I should be driving a Lamborghini.)

2. a 7.5 gallon mash tun and an 8 gallon brew kettle.

Stand1.jpg

Back