Poll: Favorite Most Used Specialty Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your favorite/most used specialty grains and why?

• Biscuit/Victory/Amber

• Crystal/Caramel 10-20

• Crystal/Caramel 40-60

• Crystal/Caramel 90-120

• Chocolate

• Aromatic/Melanoidin/Honey

• Smoked

• Rye/Wheat

• Vienna/Munich

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Build

Reaction score
What's your favorite/most used specialty grains and why? I know I left many out. If your choice is Other, which ones?

Crystal/Caramel 20 provides some color/body and keeps California Ale yeast (001) from going below 1.008 on hoppy west coast style beers. I also find it does not oxidize as badly as 40L and up, cannot stand that raisin malty bite from oxidized crystal malts.

Since you listed Vienna, Munich and Wheat which are not technically specialty malts, I will list all my favorites.

I use 2 row, what ever is cheap the most. It is the base for most of my beers.
I really like Maris Otter as my base malt. It has more depth than plain 2 row.

I use a lot of chocolate, brown and roasted barley for my darker beers.

I use crystal malts for color and a little maltiness. I don't have a favorite among them.

I have been making a fair amount of smoked beers. My favorite among those malts is Cherrywood.

So really nothing to vote for... I use what is appropriate for the upcoming brew.

... cannot stand that raisin malty bite from oxidized crystal malts.

Interesting. I have not heard raisin as an off flavor of oxidized crystal malt. I do get it in dark crystal, like C120. But I don't think its an off flavor there.

It really depends on what you are brewing. If it's an IPA, wheat (red wheat, in particular). If it's a stout, roasted barley. Why are wheat and rye lumped together?

Maybe I should have a different title. I was just thinking of favorites beyond base malts. I lumped some together because the poll software allows only 10 choices.

Good information everyone.

I'm only up to 130 gallons, give or take, and I haven't settled on the "house" recipes yet...

Capture.JPG

Maybe I should have a different title. I was just thinking of favorites beyond base malts. I lumped some together because the poll software allows only 10 choices.

Good information everyone.

If I wanted to be fastidious, I'd point out that Vienna is a base malt. We know what you mean, though. ;)

I'll add another vote for Brown malt. Dark milds, stouts and porters really benfit from that deep toasty/roasty flavor. I had a beer epiphany the first time I tried Brown Malt in my standard stout recipe.

Favorite: Special Roast-it has a nice tangy flavor with bready aromas that are unique and wonderful in amber to brown ales.
Most used: C40-just a nice sweet note with a bit of caramel that nicely rounds out an awful lot of beers.
Munich/Vienna: I love these too but I use them as base malts and not specialty malts. 100% is not too much of either of these grains in my book.

Latest posts

Back