Polishing a keggle: TAKES FOREVER

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJOCONNELL

Reaction score
Well I finally took the plunge and got the parts needed to polish a keggle based on threads on here:

Gator backing pad
gator blending pads (green) each pack has 2 pads/discs
polishing pads (white) each pack has three pads
Enkay polishing compound set (6 piece from Amazon )

Dewalt drill (brushless motor) with polishing bonnets (I got four of them to help cut on down time once they got dirty). With the buffing pads eat keggle ate up a 20v Li-Ion battery which surprised me because the batteries last for days when drilling I made the switch from Ni-Cad once all my batteries died and can't believe I waited as long as I did to make the switch.

Dewalt porter angle grinder (corded)

This takes forever. I thought the videos were an exaggeration but they are not. I had two keggles to do and I spent probably 8 hrs on each.

I started with the green pads and it quickly removed the majority of dirt, stickers, glue, dark spots on the bottom from decades of use on a camp chef burner. It just takes time and you have to be methodical or you end up bouncing all over the keg.

Then I came back with white compound and the polishing pads and did a full pass top to bottom. Switched pads the repeated with the green compound. Then again with the red compound.

I started to do a final pass with the blue compound but it seemed to be diminishing returns and I was tired. I used a fair number of the white polishing pads and called it quits.

After doing two keggles I will not be doing that again on a keg. I may polish up the corny kegs but I doubt I will ever tackle keggles again just takes too much time.

I wore eyes and ear protection throughout. My wife was not amused at the noise in the backyard and time duration. I will try to post pics if I can get a couple tonight.

My hands hurt....

Ouch. I would like my keggle to be pretty but that sounds like too much work. However your ordeal gave me an idea as to how to get the black crud off my HLT before I take it to my neighbor's spandy clean garage to get the hole drilled for the ball valve. I've got a buffing/sanding ball thing that fits on my drill, I'll use that.

I made an attempt using the drill with polishing pads at first and it took forever and the results were not that great for the amount of time invested. A corded drill would be a must if you want to get a mirror like finish.

finally snapped some pics of the end product

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

DAAAAMNNNN!! Looks great though!

I did one of my keggles a couple years back. I keep telling myself I will do some of my cornies, but I always hesitate to begin the process due to the pain you noted above being relived in my head.

In addition, that paste gets everywhere when it gets slung around - including your hair and clothing. I even found some in my trouble light up near the garage ceiling...

DAAAAMNNNN!! Looks great though!

I did one of my keggles a couple years back. I keep telling myself I will do some of my cornies, but I always hesitate to begin the process due to the pain you noted above being relived in my head.

In addition, that paste gets everywhere when it gets slung around - including your hair and clothing. I even found some in my trouble light up near the garage ceiling...

Yeah on the acrylic tube (my ghetto water level indicator) **** would not come off...I used everything I had even goof off which is my go to....it did wipe off my markings but those can be easily replaced. I need to clean everything out with a good warm PBW wash to get all the nuggets off the inside the keggles....you are correct **** flew everywhere it was annoying as ****.

Thanks for the compliment on the keggles.

Back