Poisoned batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ameritoon

Reaction score
Alright brewers? Hope all is well! I have a weird one. I have brewed about 20-30 batches over the last 2 years - maybe that's a lot, maybe it's rookie status for some. But for some reason I seem to keep having a very odd situation happen whenever I've attempt to brew a Scottish 80/-.

The recipe is as follows:
  • 10# Pale Ale Malt
  • 8oz 60L
  • 4oz 80L
  • 6oz Carapils
  • 3oz Chocolate Malt
  • 1oz Fuggles @60m

Nothing too elaborate - I should have obtained about a 1.051 OG with this grain bill. However, I did not. I did a no sparge batch, heating 9.5gals up to 175F, doughed in, mashed at 158-156F (lost 2 degrees - would have preferred 154F but didn't want to add more water), vorlaughed and pulled 7.25 gallons of wort with a gravity of 1.038... happy days right! I planned to boil down to 5.25 - 5.5. My kettle has a large surface area, so evaporation is usually about 1.5-2 gallons in an hour boil. I brought it all to a boil, after the hot break, I added my hops and set my timer. At 15mins left I added Irish moss and chiller, completed the boil. I actually let it all boil about 15 minutes longer as I hadn't reached my preferred ending volume.

Anyways... here's the weirdness - I cooled and pitched (S-04) as I've done numerous times before, fermentation started within a few hours... krausen formed - but on Tuesday morning (Brew day was Monday) very few bubbles working in the airlock, big layer of trub on the bottom. I use S-04 as my go to yeast for all my IPAs or APAs (my preferred brews) it is never a "mild" yeast, always high activity, i.e. bubbles, krausen, etc.. The ONLY grains that have been consistent in every attempt at a Scottish 80/- have been the Chocolate Malt and Carapils... all others are not from the same purchased grain bills... meaning I have purchased the Pale Ale, 80L, and 60L new since my last attempts. When I first wanted to brew the 80/- I purchased 1# Choc and 1#Carapils, since I used very little of it, I kept it and have used it in each of the 3 attempts.

Could these grains be bad or something to cause a problem with my wort? So far, the ONLY time I've had this issue is with this recipe... How weird is this?

TIA!

So what is the problem? Low activity? If that is what you are worried about, wait at least 5 days before getting concerned. I never worry about how active my fermentations are. Only that it is fermenting.

Like others have posted, I'm not exactly sure what your concern is. You need to let yeast be yeast. There are many factors involved in how much krausen, air lock activity, trub etc. If you hit your OG numbers and you give the yeast appropriate time and hit your FG numbers, then everything worked as expected. Sometimes even when you don't hit your numbers, you still end up with a great beer. No reason to stress.

Sorry - I wrote this while in a meeting - so while I gave a decent amount of detail - I was moderately distracted and I wasn't really to the point.

ISSUE - There is a total lack of activity with this batch as there was with the other 2. And typically when using S-04 - there's activity for days. So, while I'm in the early stages, it's not what I'm expecting to see. So I was just brain-dumping and searching for anyone seeing similar behavior?

QUESTION - Has anyone experienced weird issues when using any particular grain in their stores?

As for the last 2 batches never truly fermented, they were... well... crap! I'm almost positive that it wasn't a sanitation thing as I'm pretty ritualistic in my process. I've done other batches prior and since without the same problem... just this recipe...

Sorry for any confusions...

Sgt

ISSUE - There is a total lack of activity with this batch as there was with the other 2.

You're not making any sense, you clearly said fermentation started within a few hrs and krausen formed. It's certainly possible for the most active part of fermentation to be done in a day or two, especially for low gravity beers like these and especially if you're fermenting fairly warm. Checking airlock activity is a crap way to determine if something is still fermenting, so again we need the FG's of the beers (not this one yet, as it's only 3 days in).

I use s04 in my porter and it is much slower to fall out and has very mellow activity in my experience. I dont check gravity before 2 weeks.

I may be panicking for no reason! I'm just used to seeing much more and continuous activity from S04 than this. This is the 3rd trying this recipe - so it's probably me being hypercritical of this batch and not trusting the results... I'll report back later.

~Sgt

Back