Plumber's tape safe at boiling temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flipper51

Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of folks here have plumbers tape at the threaded connections in their kettle/keggle. Does anybody know for sure if this is safe (more from a standpoint of health effects of melting/leaching, not so much leaks)? I would have thought that the stuff was only intended for temperatures relevant to plumbing, i.e. up to about 160F.

I apologize in advance for the newby question, but while searching shows that people use it I don't find any comment on it's safety.

I don't know the official answer, but I've gotta wonder. What else would you expect the plumber to use in on your water lines?

the other option i guess is plumbers putty, which would be a whole mess of problems.

you don't happen to have any non-stick pans in your kitchen do you? those are teflon coated and hold up to high heat.

personally i would be less worried about teflon tape and more concerned about brass, plastics and non-silver solder contacting my wort/beer.

you don't happen to have any non-stick pans in your kitchen do you? those are teflon coated and hold up to high heat.

Good point, but is the teflon tape simply teflon in tape form? I always thought it was teflon coated tape, so it is stretchy and flexible. So there I'm worried about the tape itself, not so much the teflon coating.

personally i would be less worried about teflon tape and more concerned about brass, plastics and non-silver solder contacting my wort/beer.

Well, I don't have any of that before the valve, so the wort will be cooled (immersion chiller) before it hits any of those things.

Good point, but is the teflon tape simply teflon in tape form? I always thought it was teflon coated tape, so it is stretchy and flexible. So there I'm worried about the tape itself, not so much the teflon coating..

Plumbers tape is 100% pure PTFE (teflon), through and through. PTFE is a white, stretchy solid when it's thin enough. I'm not sure what process is used to extrude it in tape form, but it's pure PTFE.

Thanks so much for the awesome info - that's exactly what I was looking for!

Now, there are those that believe teflon-coated cookware is a health concern, but I'm not going to worry about that -- I can't afford to replace all the pots and pans in the house.

Back