Pliny Clone at Day 35

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapnHook

Reaction score
The plastic fermenter with the NB Pline clonein the guest shower and the temp on the fermenter was 70F. As I walked into the shower, the airlock went "bloop;" there appear to be about 3 bubbles in the airlock. At 35 days, I thought I was going to cold crash today (Sunday) and bottle Tuesday or perhaps Wednesday. But if it's still bubbling, however slowly? That's my question. Is the activity still sufficient to put off crashing and bottling?

Here's the history. Brew day went pretty well. I pitched a packet of 05 yeast with the wort about 74F, after sort of rehydrating the yeast in warm water - I did not give it much time (5 minutes) before pitching. OG just prior to pitching was 1.077 at 74F. The wort was in a cold water bath for about two weeks between 65F and 66F.

On Tuesday, there had been NO visible activity in the blow off tube. With everything I had read, I was expecting a lot of activity, so I was worried I had underpitched and not prepared what I had pitched properly. I did not open the fermenter to inspect the wort. I prepared a mild starter with another packet of 05 and 1/3 cup light DME, let it perk away overnight and pitched about 15 hours later. There was a good krausen on the wort, so it had indeed been fermenting, however quietly. Within ONE minute of the second pitching, the blow off tube was bubbling crazily, and continued for 4 days before slowing down for another 2-1/2 days before becoming pretty quiet, although it continued blooping occasionally. 18 days after brew day, I quit icing the water, and the wort warmed gradually to 68, and up to 70 in just the last 3 days.

I did the first dry hop on day 25. That was the first time I had opened the fermenter's lid. I took a gravity reading, and it was 1.012. I did not reopen the fermenter to recheck that reading. I drank the beer thief sample, and the beer was really good! So far so good, and I am a happy camper.

I'd like to bottle soon, because I'm going to Puerto Vallarta in 2 and a half weeks, and I'd like to take a few bottles to share with my brother-in-law.

So, from my description, am I good to cold crash now and bottle in a couple of days? Should I worry about bottle bombs? (I plan on using about 4 oz corn sugar for what was 5-1/4 gallons of wort.)

And a third question. Anyone ever flown with home brew? I plan on triple bagging, but I have no idea if the air pressure in luggage is going to cause a problem. Because pets can travel in the luggage compartment, I'm believing it's as pressurized as the passenger cabin and there should be no problem. You are welcome to correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

It should be bottled, if it's done. If it's 35 days old, and the last reading was 1.012, it's been done for a long time.

If it's bubbling now, hopefully it's just due to a temperature change and not an infection process but check it and see before bottling.

You can fly with homebrew in your checked bag, at least on domestic flights in the US, but I've never tried taking it internationally. I've brought home commercial beer from overseas without any issues, though.

You are good to bottle now if you want.

As for flying, what are the laws on amount of liquid being taken on board?

Thanks, Yooper. I've been very careful with sanitation, and I believe there is no infection - I'll know for sure when I open the fermenter in two days. It tasted very good 10 days ago, with no infection. When I added the last dry hops two days ago, all I saw on top were the hops from the first dry hop; nothing looked off at all.

number40fan: In checked luggage, I can carry as much alcohol as Mexico will allow. Last year, I took two liters of rum with me with no problem at Mexico customs. So this year I want to try a another big rum bottle plus a sixer of homebrew.

I'm off to start the cold crash. Thanks a bunch for your help.

Back