Please recommend me a style...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to expand my brewing knowledge and I want to brew something new. Here's what I'm looking to brew:

1) 6-7% abv, medium bodied (not a session beer)
2) not too heavy... in calories or in flavor, so stouts and porters are out
3) not extremely hoppy, 30-45 ABUs max
4) uses an american style ale yeast (I've got some Wyeast American Ale in the fridge)
5) an interesting flavor that doesn't get boring after a glass or two, maybe a little toasted-rye-choco something in there? just something that raises your eyebrows a little, but you could have a few without getting overwhelmed

Maybe it doesn't narrow it down much, but maybe someone could help me out? If you can suggest a recipe, that's even better. I brew AG btw.

bdupree said:
how about a nut brown?

Nut browns are not very hoppy, 40 ibu's is pushing it for a traditional version. The accent in traditional browns is on the malt.

I'd recommend some type of pale ale. A local brewery makes one called Amish four grain, probably my favorite pale ale. Made with oats, barley, rye and wheat.

It's not quite as strong as you are looking for, but that could be easily remedies by increasing the amount of malt used.

How about a wee heavy?

The high alcohol and not to heavy or hoppy parameters really seem to limit you primarily to german lager styles. But if you're willing to, you can just brew a frankenstein beer and have fun with it.

I made a Special Strong Bitter with

.25# choc rye
.25# caramel wheat
.25# belgian biscuit
.25# caramunich

6#pilsen LME
1#amber DME

2 oz fuggles @60*
1 oz fuggles @20

Turned out quite good, *but next time, I'll only use 1 oz fuggles @ 60

Only 5% however.

The Wee Heavy is a good idea too.

I'm not sure how you make a low calorie 7% beer, but how about an American Amber?

Back