Please put my mind at ease

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bking0217

Reaction score
I got my cider batch mixed (apple juice mixed with dextrose) and dumped it into my fermenter. A couple minutes later, I noticed the floor was getting wetter. Upon inspection, I found a crack in the bucket. My next thought was to use my carboy but discovered my carboy bung didn't make the move to my new house with me. The only thing I had left was my bottling bucket so that's what the juice is in right now. The bucket doesn't leak from the spout but I don't know if there will be any problems aside from having to clean the yeast cake out of the spout. Please tell me I just need to RDWHAHB!

You'll be fine! Lots of us don't put the fermentation under airlock until the second or third week. So if you're concerned about yeast in the spout of your bottling bucket, transfer back the carboy, (at this stage, you can aerate when transfer, which is a good thing) and cover the carboy with aluminum foil until you can get a bung and airlock for your it.

I ferment in buckets covered with aluminum foil, some use cookie sheets, until I rack to a carboy. Then I bung and airlock it.

Latest posts

Back