Please Help! Put wrong pin lock on post and it won't come off...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulge1944

Reaction score
Hello All,

I NEED HELP!!

Eventhough I have been making homebrew for 15 years, I have never kegged. I finally decided to start since I have my own house and put a bar in the basement. I have a major problem now with my first time out. It seems that when I cleaned the keg before use, I put the wrong keg posts in the wrong holes in top of the keg. The "in" post worked well with the CO2. Now when I went to connect my beer to the "out" post, the pin lock will not come off the post. I can't belive I was so stupid in doing this...

Has this ever happened to anyone and does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the pin lock off of the post?

Any help with this would be great...

Thanks.

Don't beat yourself up over it, I know better too and I've done the same thing. All I did was slide back the sleeve and pull like hell.

You could try dismantling the QD by removing the plug on top. I doubt it would have much of an effect but just take a flat blade screwdriver, unscrew the cap, and take all the insides out.

Good luck.

Well, I got it off (with a slotted screwdriver and a hammer). It was the only way. Stubborn little devils.

Well, guess I will have to get a new one. I guarantee I will never do that again. Thanks to the above for your suggestions.

I've done it once. If you can believe this, I was drunk when it happened...... I know it is a stretch. Hammer and prybar were my best friends.

I'm not sure how one could do this, my pin locks have either 2 or 3 pins depending on gas in or beverage out....can't remember which is which right now though.

Back